Trump pardons Steve Bannon, Elliot Broidy, Lil Wayne, others — 73 pardons, 70 commutations

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/20/trump-pardons-steve-bannon-elliot-broidy-lil-wayne-others-73-pardons-70-commutations.html

3 Likes

A strong but not unexpected statement that corruption and fascism are A-OK with him. That is his and his followers’ vision of America: an authoritarian kleptocracy like that run by his biggest idol.

13 Likes

was the harkonen pardon a paid promotion for dune?

7 Likes

Duke Cunningham ffs.

Scan of a document submitted as evidence by the prosecution and included in their February 2006 sentencing memorandum against Cunningham, penned by his own hand on his own Congressional office stationery for the benefit of “co-conspirator#2” (defense contractor Mitchell Wade). The left column lists millions of dollars of government contracts; the right column lists the thousands of dollars in bribes required to secure them. The figures in the right column are increases; e.g. $50,000 in bribes would mean the difference between $18 million and $19 million of awarded contracts. “BT” is an abbreviation for “Buoy Toy” – a 42-foot Carver yacht that was financed by Wade in exchange for $16 million in contracts.

11 Likes

Basically, he put the United States, which he doesn’t own, up for sale to the highest bidder. He sold troops and he sold pardons. Typical plunder monkey behavior.

8 Likes

or alternatively:

ETA:

And Levandowski?

Remember how China is bad for stealing US companies’ IP? And how Trump is going to stand up for US business?

8 Likes

You can bet the various authorities will go after Bannon at the state and civil levels. He’s not going to walk away clean.

6 Likes

at least he didn’t try to pardon himself, or his children.
[EDIT]: or any of the insurrectionists.

2 Likes

Well, actually, there’s an untested legal theory that a president can issue secret pardons. The pardon power is outlined in the Constitution, and those wacky Founders forgot to include language stipulating that pardons must be announced. So Trump may have pardoned himself and his family, and we won’t know until the DoJ tries to prosecute them. SCOTUS will have to weigh in on those pardons if that’s the case.

7 Likes

I would assume the argument against secret pardons is that they must be entered into the presidential record while the president is in power.

5 Likes

19 Likes

What, no Tiger King? I hope he wasn’t throwing his weight around for the last week being like, “Fuck you guys, I’m outta here in a few days! Suck my diiiccckkk!!! You heard me!”

I didn’t know Lil’ Wayne was in trouble again. But how did he get on the list? Ponied up some money?

2 Likes

He endorsed Trump.

6 Likes

Turds of a feather stink together.

3 Likes

REALLY? ugh, unbelievable.

2 Likes
7 Likes

Those of us who knew him when he was in Green and Kenny & the Kids know that they forgot to add “Raging asshole.” Welp, at least I can add “Recipient of Trump Presidential Pardon” to the list of people I’ve known, along with “Grammy Winners” and “Convicted Murderer.” The last was actually the nicest of the lot. (ETA - except for the murder part)

Details about folks on the list from PA and NJ were…interesting:

3 Likes

Levandowski, who stole AV technology from Google and enriched himself at Uber, gets a pardon thanks to right-wing creeps Peter Thiel and Palmer Lucky.

Still bankrupt though.

2 Likes

Ok so I may not be fully paying attention but…
if Bannon has been charged but not yet found guilty, how can he be pardoned?

1 Like