Biden pardoning all Federal convictions of simple marijuana possession

Originally published at: Biden pardoning all Federal convictions of simple marijuana possession | Boing Boing

19 Likes

4:20 is less than an hour away, reckon i’ll dedicate this sesh to Uncle Joe.
“hey, Joe! this bud’s for you!”

31 Likes

Spark em if you got’em. A gummy in the tummy is yummy too…

24 Likes

Washington Post showed a picture of a leaf. Boing Boing goes right for the bud.

20 Likes

it’s a start I guess

17 Likes

This is some genuinely good news! It will take Congress to actually decriminalize or legalize, but this is a step forward.

22 Likes

It is probably the greatest single act of compassionate criminal reform that a president has performed, and because of long standing racism will benefit communities if color disproportionately - which is great and as it should be.

It would be great if we could give people who’s lives are already destroyed by their minor convictions thousands of dollars in reparations, preferably seized from private prison corporations

35 Likes

Full legalization would mean, among other things, that businesses could operate across state lines and get bank financing. But these executive actions still mean fewer people going to jail and rescheduling the drug would presumably mean enforcement would be a much lower priority on the Federal level. One still expects of course that Republican governors will not want to lift a finger to help any Black people.

18 Likes

But this will decimate the prison industry! And think of all the unemployed lawyers.

16 Likes

Also hoard paint and white goods as this will hit prison-based production; prices will skyrocket!

4 Likes

17 Likes

Go ‘Dark Brandon.’

25 Likes

i still have two minutes!!

eta: aaaahhhhhhhhhh thanks Joe Biden! :relaxed::us:

11 Likes

Something that the Biden administration is very familiar with.

I mean, it’s definitely good that he’s doing this now but he should have done more, earlier. The fact that the administration was still blocking employment to people who had admitted to past marijuana use was totally inexcusable.

16 Likes

Long ago I joked that Biden’s campaign slogan should be WE COULD DO WORSE

I’d rather see Bernie or Liz in the top job but Grandpa Joe is still better than average

18 Likes

This is long overdue, but it’s genuinely good news! I hope this doesn’t get watered-down like the student loan forgiveness after meeting the inevitable opposition.

5 Likes

Shouldn’t it be “Dank Brandon” in this case?

24 Likes

Happy Hailee Steinfeld GIF by Pitch Perfect

16 Likes

It’s a start.

8 Likes

i seriously thought you wrote “dank” brandon

( eta: ahg. @gracchus i’m out of libations. maybe i owe you a joint? :thinking: )

11 Likes