Biden pardoning all Federal convictions of simple marijuana possession

14 Likes

now that opioids have been hurting white communities so badly, there’s been some bit of shift at the state level i think. decriminalization doesn’t sound as wild anymore ( which both sucks because of the racism in that shift, and is good because maybe finally decriminalization… someday )

with these pardons, biden’s going to be able to show off some great crime stats (!)

5 Likes

I’m hesitant to post this here because

1. It’s not really the same topic
    and
  2. Hunter Biden is obviously responsible for his own actions, not his dad

But there definitely might be some unfortunate “Biden/crime” stories in the election cycle this year…

4 Likes

Great. The syphilitic spawn of Herr Drumpf could explode dirty bombs in major cities across the country tonight, and the only thing on right wing “news” will be how right they were about the awfulness of the Biden family.

10 Likes

I’m curious how this will affect folks who were previous visa holders and have been deported primarily for marijuana possession? :thinking:

10 Likes
16 Likes

they would have anyway. they’ll make it up when they have to.

really i don’t mind them prosecuting someone like hunter for valid white collar crimes. so long as they are also going after the biggest scofflaws and not just the easiest targets

7 Likes

It’s obvious that Republicans expect Democrats to completely lose their shit if and when Hunter Biden is ever charged with a crime because that’s what they’d do if the child of a Republican was ever held accountable for their actions, but the truth is most would just shrug. We voted for Joe, not Hunter.

19 Likes

GOP: This will lead to uncontrolled x!

Canada: Waves!

4 Likes

I just hope there’s no backroom bargaining across the aisle that would “save” Hunter at the expense of
a traitor or nine getting off easy.

10 Likes

Anything that makes it easier to find molly is ok by me!

1 Like

We voted against Donald

We would have voted for a dead rat in a shoebox if it was the Democratic nominee in 2020

8 Likes

If hunter’s conviction goes as slow as Trump’s maybe we’ll see action on that after Biden’s second term… :confused:

4 Likes

Screw the Hunter shit, why are you all detouring from the lead on this topic?

Joe Biden, one of the architect’s of our drug/crime dystopia prison system, has AGREED to decriminalize Mary Jane use at the federal level. He did so despite his own personal views on pot use, which are perfectly in line with all the reasons marijuana was heavily criminalized in the first place. He LISTENED to other folks, he put what was RIGHT ahead of his own personal and biased views, and he LED on a topic previous administrations have done jack shit about. Oh, and consequently he’s helping communities of color and the poor. It’s a good first step for any president, but for him? It’s a fucking leap into the huge beyond, and a bit of a miracle honestly.

Don’t let the right lead you to “Hunter Biden is El Chapo!” stories and get you talking about that instead of what has happened here. Fucking Christ, celebrate this! Screaming it off the roof tops. Biden is NOT progressive, but he has fucking done WAY more than any of us would have expected of him.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em, friends!

cheech_chong

13 Likes

He’s not progressive like Progressive Caucus progressive, but he’s slightly to the left of people like Obama and John Kerry and the Clintons

8 Likes

The US American concept of “left” is still funny to me continental Europeans.

This morning, I listened to a news podcast which announced several segments, one of which was that the Democrats would take to extreme measures to win the mid-terms. I wasn’t following closely, so I thought that the pardon was one of those. However, the segment on the Democrats came later - and the “extreme measures” were, e.g., “supporting” very right-winged Republicans in the first round (to get a beatable candidate in the second round).

Nevertheless, considering Biden’s personal record, this might just be an extreme measure to win the election as well…

5 Likes

It never fails to disgust me that the media here constantly allows the GOP to define “leftist”, and it’s literally just people who are a bit less conservative then they are, and in most cases not remotely progressive on ANYTHING. Joe Biden, until the past couple of months, would have easily slotted into either party based on his voting record. He just happened to be a Democrat and took a more moderate stance on a few key issues like abortion (without actually taking any action previously to codify those rights).

Our country is run by conservatives no matter which party is in power. It’s just a matter of deciding whether it’ll be the generally less openly fascist ones who wrangle the Democratic party, or the ones who want to overthrow the entire government if they can’t have their way. Real progressives are marginalized within the Democratic party and have almost no real power.

11 Likes

We do have Communists, et al., but they don’t win elections and that’s not what this topic is about

1 Like

:thinking:

Biden’s presidential proclamation states that his pardon “does not apply to individuals who were non-citizens not lawfully present in the United States at the time of their offense.”

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/10/08/politics/biden-marijuana-possession-pardons/index.html

2 Likes

This guy says nope.

“Texas is not in the habit of taking criminal justice advice from the leader of the defund police party and someone who has overseen a criminal justice system run amuck with cashless bail and a revolving door for violent criminals. The Governor of Texas can only pardon individuals who have been through the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles system with a recommendation for pardon.”

But Beto O’Rourke says…

“When I’m governor, we will finally legalize marijuana in Texas and expunge the records of those arrested for marijuana possession,”

https://www.chron.com/politics/article/marijuana-pardon-texas-law-17493711.php

2 Likes