House poised to pass bill to decriminalize marijuana at the federal level

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/04/house-poised-to-pass-bill-to-decriminalize-marijuana-at-the-federal-level.html

9 Likes

11 Likes

I’m on the good train, but I’d be on the even better train if they they released all federal inmates in prison for non violent marijuana offenses (unsurprisingly, heavily skewed towards minorities).

13 Likes

To be fair, I don’t know if what you said and “expunging” mean the same thing, though I hope they do.

9 Likes

Oh wow, teaches me to post (carefully) after drinking barrel aged stouts :grimacing:

8 Likes

This won’t get past Satan’s tortoise in the senate or Outgoing-President Nameless. It’s good that at least some of the federal government of the U.S. can even fathom something approaching common-sense laws on marijuana, but I just don’t think you’re there yet.

7 Likes

Anyone voting against this measure I have to ask: Why do you hate capitalism?

11 Likes

It also seems highly unlikely that Trump would use one of his last acts in office to sign a Democrat-sponsored bill into law.

7 Likes

Though if we get some public statement from him, the headline could read “Turnip Gives Statement on Drugs”

2 Likes

Assuming the GOP wins at least one of the GA run offs (or even if they don’t), I expect the House to pass many, many un-enactible and fantastical bills over the next session, because they know that they’ll never get past the Senate.

What’s up next, the Free Ponies and Ice Cream Act of 2021? The Omnibus Unicorn Poop Energy Bill?

Exactly. See John Boehner.

2 Likes

If we gain control of the Senate this is going to happen.

I hope they bring Tommy Chong in to hit the gavel. That would be nothing ridiculous after the last 4 years of sociopathy

6 Likes

I mean, they have the majority now and haven’t been that silly.

4 Likes

Google some of the stimulous plans they passed. So many gifts for favored constituents that it was like Christmas is coming and Santa is giving every good boy an Amex black card.

They knew the Senate would reject it. That way they could show their base that they cared but the evil GOP blocked all the hot dogs and apple pie.

I strongly feel that Mexico is going to beat us to the punch. I guess that’s good news for the tourism industry down here once the pandemic dies down.

8 Likes

I am hoping for legalization. We have not had a rational drug policy for over 60 years. We need better pain therapeutics and to break down the marijuana wall so that psilocybins, synthetics and entheogens can get earnest, widespread scientific consideration. I have nothing against safe recreational use, either. But I come at this from a medical standpoint and we need a government that backs science not a neo-Christian pseudo-morality.

9 Likes

Oh man… you’re going to ask that (even sarcastically and hypothetically) here?

3…2…1…

2 Likes

Ooh! If they pass the Omnibus Unicorn Poop Energy Bill, will we be able to requisition new unicorns?

Because the one I have now doesn’t poop rainbows. It only poops red. Actually, it may just be a horse with severe colitis and a waffle cone superglued to it’s noggin.

3 Likes

All too often the case, the answer to the question, “Why can’t we have nice things?”, is “Puritans.”

6 Likes

So they’re meant to stop doing their job because McConnell is an obstructing asshole? He’s the probably, not the House.

And BTW, this is likely popular with a majority of Americans.

6 Likes