House votes to federally decriminalize marijuana

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/04/house-votes-to-federally-decriminalize-marijuana.html

6 Likes

Ninja’d by Xeni:

9 Likes

“When will the rest of the GOP (and six Democrats!) realize it’s time to legalize cannabis?” When they are guaranteed that their constituents and themselves will have their pockets properly lined from the legalization of cannabis. Duh.

7 Likes

“The federal government has lied to the people of this country about marijuana for a generation.”

More than a generation, Matt.

11 Likes

Seems to me this would be a big deal, if it passed. Yeah, some states would still have it outlawed, but the states that legalized it could be properly legal then, not this weird grey area they’re in now.

2 Likes

I’ve been advocating for this since, uh, let’s see now, 1968. It’s only taken the House of Representatives 52 years to come around to something that was obvious that long ago.

You’re welcome!

6 Likes

The House votes for a lot of things.
Then McConnell goes on a 4 year vacation, never putting anything up for a Senate vote unless he knows the GOP will win it. Because it’s all about winning, and never about the good of the American people.

2 Likes

Yeah, but Mark’s post at least links to the comments. :wink:

4 Likes

5 Likes

More like 4 or 5 generations. Goes back to the 1920’s; William Randolph Hurst’s ‘yellow journalism’ and metric fucktons of racism.

6 Likes

John Boehner went from cannabis foe to making money off legalizing medical marijuana in Ohio.
Funny how that works.

3 Likes
5 Likes

I always loved that Reefer Madness guy. He really invested in the “fiend” part of “dope fiend”.

Yeah. I used the Nancy photo because Gaetz no doubt worships that lot.

2 Likes

Republicans are heavily invested in the false narrative they’ve been running super-duper hard since Nixon’s first term as President.

I seriously expected weed to get off Schedule I when the majority of the “Greatest” generation died off, but obviously there are plenty of “Boomers” fully invested in the lies.

7 Likes

Dave O’Brien. Other than RM probably best known for the series of comedy shorts “Pete Smith Specialties” where he would frequently do a bit of slapstick. (These would no doubt be forgotten if not for TCM.) Also, had minor roles in old musicals, including a few classics. Always neat to catch him dancing on the sidelines, I always expect him to say, “Faster, dance, faster!!”

2 Likes

Even further…

4 Likes

Tell GOP senators not to bogart those joints.

1 Like

Now that states as deep red as South Dakota and Arizona have voted to legalize, it’s clear that, on this issue at least, there’s bipartisan support among the people. Now Congress needs to do its job and represent them.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.