Hunter Biden found guilty

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/11/hunter-biden-found-guilty.html

6 Likes

Another sign that the system is working. Next month provides another test.

30 Likes

And yet somehow we’re supposed to believe the current administration has weaponized the Department of Justice against Biden’s enemies (which has yet to actually try, let alone convict, the political rival of the sitting POTUS).

As for Hunter: it kinda sucks that he got convicted for crimes that usually aren’t prosecuted, but he also benefited from opportunities that most people don’t get so I’m not going to waste much of my mental energy worrying about him except to hope that he learns and betters himself from this experience.

47 Likes

This conviction has to leave all the 2A gun nuts conflicted. They typically oppose any restrictions on gun ownership, so if it were anyone other than a Biden, this conviction would piss them off.

55 Likes

Wait, what does Billy Carter have to do with Hunter Biden’s crimes?

21 Likes

Addict ≠ Felon

24 Likes

Lots of alcoholics haven’t committed any felonies. Mainly because alcohol use, and even alcohol abuse, aren’t criminalized like drug use and drug addiction are. I don’t think that gun permit application asked, “Are you an alcoholic?”

32 Likes

Hm. Rich white guys who can afford a good legal team kind of ranks a bit low on my injustice scale.

concern

13 Likes

I’ve been drunk before, yet I’ve never once committed a felony. Not sure what you’re on about here.

18 Likes

Well, there goes Hunter Biden’s political career. Who on earth would vote for a convicted felon?

61 Likes

I wonder if Donnie is panicking after all of this. Saying for months that the courts are corrupt and totally partial and that Hunter will get away with this stuff scott free… that’s gotta sting.

14 Likes

@danimagoo this is exactly what I was thinking. The 2A folks should be up in arms! How can they be in favor of this?

Then again, perhaps they have no need for consistency.

13 Likes

Mandatory random drug testing for anyone who owns a gun!
(“y’know that’ll never happen” yeah, but i still wanted to shout some ironic stuff)

12 Likes

I’m just surprised we have ANY gun laws in the “restriction” category that are actually enforced. Or any gun laws.

7 Likes

My comment got me curious about the actual question on the form Biden filled out. Here’s what it says (today…it might have been slightly different in 2018):

Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?

Now…alcohol is a depressant. This question should include alcoholics. If they made a habit out of prosecuting people just for lying in answer to this question, they could probably be prosecuting thousands of people right now. Just as a reminder, usually prosecution for this is an add-on as part of a prosecution for some other gun related felony crimes. If someone is charged with, I dunno, robbing a bank, the prosecutors will start digging through the defendant’s backgrounds and add on every charge they can, including things like lying on a gun permit application. That’s not really a good thing, in my opinion, but that’s a whole different discussion. Regardless, if Hunter’s last name weren’t Biden, he never would have been charged with this. Like @Brainspore said above, I’m not going to lose any sleep over Hunter Biden being convicted. But this is really kind of horseshit.

29 Likes

I’m sure they did alright, in this case…

</s>

2 Likes

Same for people who drink coffee every day or smoke cigarettes. Caffeine and nicotine are both addictive stimulants.

15 Likes

You know who else was convicted Jesus. I think it might even have been gun charges too! If this won’t garner sympathy (not the jesus bit) from the right wingers, what would?

3 Likes
10 Likes

No it won’t he won’t care or will say “See I held them accountable! hurr durr”. There is no shame, remorse, or admitting you are ever wrong in maga land.

8 Likes