Hunter Biden to plead guilty to failing to pay taxes, likely avoiding jail time

Originally published at: Hunter Biden to plead guilty to failing to pay taxes, likely avoiding jail time | Boing Boing

6 Likes

It’s been quite something to see the reactions from both parties given how long the Republicans have been fighting for this victory.

Republicans: See? SEE? Hunter is a criminal, just like we said!

Democrats: Yeah OK so let him take responsibility for his actions. He’s a grown man and a private citizen. No skin off our nose.

Republicans: (Seething, incoherent rage)

29 Likes

This was likely a large part of the strategy in the constant crowing about Hunter, right? To set things up to make anything done about Trump’s laughably obviously corrupt family look like “political revenge.”

15 Likes

Oh, they will still milk it for all that it is worth. Gotta keep that grift going!!

14 Likes

bored hillary clinton GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

hillary clinton potus GIF by Adventures Once Had

17 Likes

Man, I’m so glad I didn’t vote for Hunter.

30 Likes

Whaddya know? He was actually up to something.
Sure glad we’ve spent half a decade obsessing over it.

8 Likes

Now think about how the NRA has been racking their brains trying to spin the issue of Biden still being charged for possessing an unregistered gun after going to rehab, which is a law the gun rights lobby has been trying to get rid of for a while now.

25 Likes

Yeah I saw that too.

Democrats: So you support increased gun restrictions and penalties for people like Hunter Biden?
Republicans: NO! Not people like Hunter Biden, just him specifically!

15 Likes

So I wonder how much power Hunter Biden’s lawyers had as to what he plead guilty to versus the justice department, because this is the perfect trolley for debating Trump and/or the GOP.
Trump: Hunter didn’t pay any taxes.
Joe: You don’t pay any taxes.
Trump: Hunter had a gun after doing drugs.
Joe: The GOP is trying to make that legal. You shouldn’t have a problem with it.

17 Likes

Clever ripostes, but the GOP talking point on this result will likely be that Hunter’s crimes were much worse than what he was charged for, and even his punishment here was light as a feather, because Dictator Biden’s DOJ is completely biased and corrupt, etc.

15 Likes

From what I’ve seen so far the conservative rage seems to be:

1. “It’s a two-tiered justice system!” (Which I guess means Trump should cop a plea?), and

2. they just wanted the investigation to keep dragging out because maybe it would eventually find crimes committed by Joe (or because the investigation itself is an anvil around Joe’s neck-- crimes aren’t even necessary.)

8 Likes

I don’t know what that “$100,0000” represents. Is that some sort of new American numbering system? I’m Welsh, we went metric years ago. Please explain. Where do the commas go now?

2 Likes

Me too. But I didn’t vote for Boris (Johnson, UK) either and yet he became PM. And now we have Sunack,; another person I didn’t get to the vote for. Oh, and don’t mention Truss.

3 Likes

and so nice the president didn’t make him part of his administration, put him in positions of responsibility regardless of his ability, and wave security clearances.

18 Likes

This is really going to injure him in the primary for 2024!

5 Likes

came here to say this. i won’t hold my breath waiting for the 2A crowd to rush to his defense.

4 Likes

Did it, though? I thought the suspicion of tax fraud came from an earlier investigation. The laptop BS surfaced in 2020 and this piece seems to confirm that the tax investigation is at least from 2018.

Not that it really matters except that it’s worth pointing out that the laptop thing has thus far proven to be 100% rubbish.

10 Likes

Oh, so you’re saying he didn’t hide his unpaid taxes in his laptop? :thinking:

6 Likes

14 Likes