Three felony charges for Hunter Biden, the president's tax-evading offspring

Originally published at: Three felony charges for Hunter Biden, the president's tax-evading offspring | Boing Boing

4 Likes

The guy is a sleazeball nepo-baby, no doubt. The GOP efforts to implicate his father in his alleged crimes have been cringeworthy, though, in a “stop trying to make ‘fetch’ happen” way. We get it, Republicans, you want Biden to be as corrupt as TFG, but it’s not gonna happen.

11 Likes

While Hunter can look forward to prison visits from his father; Trump’s spawn will be able to see their dad in the exercise yard.

8 Likes

Is there a term for the nepotism-adjacent phenomenon of a person making money off their family name even when their parents or relatives haven’t actually done anything to give them an inappropriate advantage?

Hunter has certainly profited from being a Biden, but the “nepotism” label makes it sound like he pulled a Donald Jr. whereas it was more of a Billy Carter.

17 Likes

I’ll drink to that!

20 Likes

I think “nepo-baby” was coined to cover what you describe. They don’t necessarily benefit directly as in regular nepotism (e.g. Cokehead and Dimwit) but the family name or knowledge of the relationship does open doors.

11 Likes

That’s terrible. I’m never voting for Hunter Biden again.

27 Likes

It’s a good thing that nobody else has conspired to cheat on their taxes. Then, they might have problems with the IRS being funded to pursue people like Hunter.

9 Likes

2 Likes

It sound to me like those charges are fair. It doesn’t seem to have anything to do with Joe Biden.

2 Likes

“Fair” in the sense that the charges are appropriate for the alleged crimes.

Unfair in the sense that the vast majority of people who commit similar crimes are never held accountable because their misdeeds are never examined under the microscope of a politically motivated and highly visible Federal investigation.

Even so, not gonna jump to the guy’s defense. If he did the crime let him do the time.

16 Likes

That is one aspect of the nepo-baby advantage … brand name recognition long past the best-by date, like being a Trump, or a Kennedy, or a Rockefeller.

5 Likes

So glad I never voted for Hunter Biden.

6 Likes

I don’t know how advisable that can be, at least for a little while.

We should be creating more consequences for rich tax cheats.

You’re right who he is is effecting how this is being handled. Honestly - I am ok with it. 99% of the time someone that well connected only gets a slap on the wrist plea deal.

I don’t think this guy is a criminal mastermind, he has just failed up because of who he is, and has unfortunately too often been a victim of his inner demons. I think he is sober now, and hope he stays that way, at least.

3 Likes

From what I’ve seen this seems to be the take of pretty much every person who is even mildly left leaning or hasn’t entered the Fox News event horizon.

Pretty nearly no one really cares one way or the other if Hunter goes down, except those trying to tarnish Joe by association.

The strongest protest I’ve heard against Hunter’s prosecution is that it’s politically motivated harassment. Which is fair. But on the other hand if he’s been making bank off his father’s good name for years, then maybe he should be fine taking the negative consequences of increased scrutiny as well.

3 Likes

I feel fairly confident in my assessment that neither of the aforementioned individuals has the required skill-set to fashion a functional shiv let alone the guile or dexterity to wield one effectively.
It remains to be seen how much they can con other Cons into doing their dirty work without much to offer in exchange.

1 Like

“Failson” seems like it kind of fits. But I always assumed failson implied intentional parental involvement in securing positions. Not sure if that is a defining feature though.

2 Likes

Good. I like it when anyone, regardless of their position, receives the consequences of their actions. And it sure seems like Hunter did some stuff. The only bad thing here is that, regardless of the cognitive dissonance involved, Joe Biden’s opponents will use this to smear him, in a way they would never do with Trump’s failsons.

2 Likes

2 Likes