Big Tech's CEOs can't possibly fix Big Tech

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/14/meritocratic-failures.html

1 Like

Delete FBook & Twitter.

9 Likes

Or just never get either!

5 Likes

I have to disagree with the quoted sentiment in the article that these guys started out trying to make the world a better place. Nonsense. They set out to get rich. They aren’t engineers or artists or philanthropists. They are not builders of things or helpers of people. They found a way to get rich and they doubled down on it year after year after year.

11 Likes

To support your argument, let’s not let anyone forget this happened:

Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard
Just ask.
I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS
“What? How’d you manage that one?”
People just submitted it.
I don’t know why.
They “trust me”
Dumb fucks

4 Likes

Pretty much. Forget appealing to their better natures. Don’t bother asking them to resign. Break up their companies for being the monopolistic nightmares they are, and don’t worry about the poor, misunderstood CEOs. They can kiss ass for the rest of eternity.

Weapons of Math Destruction was one of the first books I read on how AI is harming us and is only going to get worse if we don’t do something about it (not the terminator kind of AI, but the real kind). It was enjoyable to read (well, maybe that’s not the right word for it since it describes in detail how the poor are getting screwed by technology). It is a great read and Kathy O’Neil is a wonderful writer.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.