Big Tex, the “World’s Tallest Cowboy”

Originally published at: Big Tex, the "World's Tallest Cowboy" | Boing Boing

1 Like
2 Likes

I feel like I just had a Primus hallucination.

9 Likes

Big Tex: “EveRYthInG iS bIGGer iN TExAs!”

Golden Driller: Pats Big Tex on the head.

2 Likes

used to love big tex as a wee child! then, 10 years ago, the tall feller burnt to a crisp:

11 Likes

It sounds like they built a new one to replace him the following year.

I have fond memories of Big Tex from when I was younger, but I haven’t made it back to the State Fair of Texas in a couple of decades. I should remedy that.

10 Likes

I once got to see Big Tex in person, but I still marvel at the apocalyptic beauty of seeing photos of him in flames several years back. That was truly a wild moment in Texas State Fair history!

4 Likes

Flashback to when I lived in Dallas. I went to the state fair and saw Big Tex. The following weekend, either one or two people died on one of the rides…

Found it!

2 Likes

I remember shortly after he burned to the ground, the State Fair Committee put out a fundraiser to help replace him. Which I thought was complete BS since a) I imagine the Fair makes plenty of $$$ each and every year through ticket sales, food, booze and attractions and b) insurance?!

Anyway, afterwards, his head was sold off for $1100 (so I heard). The guy that bought it sets him out every Christmas, head impaled on the rooftop.

3 Likes

Ah, but do you know about Heather Jo, aka Big Tex’s girl?

2 Likes

HOOOWDY FOLKS!

Body seems unclear, is it a complete sentence?

Yes. It is a complete sentence.

2 Likes

Why, that’s worse than what Paw tried to do…

The 911 call was great!

Big Tex even starred in an episode of King of The Hill.

5 Likes

Here are the first words of the “New” Big Tex September 27, 2013.

1 Like

I used to work with the guy who was the voice of Big Tex for 10 years until the fire. He was an actor, and broadcast engineer with the ironically appropriate name of Bill Bragg. It was a treat to ask him to do “the voice”.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.