Big Gus is the world's largest chainsaw

Originally published at: Big Gus is the world's largest chainsaw | Boing Boing

1 Like

These may not be nearly as large, but they are much more powerful and terrifying to me.

4 Likes

If you visit the Da Yooper’s Tourist Trap, then you will likely understand why I thought the Red Green Show was filmed in the Marquette/Ishpeming area – there is almost 100% overlap in the style and humor.

I’ll also say that “Rusty Chevrolet” was a Christmas staple in my household when I was growing up.

2 Likes

Some men see things as they are, and ask why. I dream of things that never were, and say “hold my beer”.

3 Likes

Apologies up front, but it made me think of this.

“He has a wife, you know?”

6 Likes

Plus, the Tourist Trap has free batrooms. (Yup, that’s the spelling.)

2 Likes

I was definitely not expecting to have occasion to pull this out of my music collection today, but here we are.

1 Like

Pretty sure I’ve seen much larger “chain” saws used for cutting giant slabs of marble away in a quarry in Italy. But if your “worldview” is 'Murica, then I guess it is the largest.

1 Like

They’re going to need a bigger Roomba.

7f5

6 Likes

If it cannot cut wood it ain’t a chainsaw and I say that thing ain’t never cut any wood.

This, however, is (allegedly) the world’s most powerful chainsaw and it cuts wood…

5 Likes

I used to live near Ishpeming in Negaunee, there’s quite a lot of interesting history to the area, and also is home to the Ski hall of Fame:

And of course da yoopers:

1 Like

They have quarries in the US, too, but even quarry saws aren’t usually 23’ long.

23ft is about 7 meters. This Bad Boy is 8 meters and is actually functional, not decorative.

6 Likes

Huh, I always thought Paul Bunyan was an axe man.

3 Likes

There’s a lot of cultural overlap between Canada and that part of the US in general. Corner Gas plays well in those parts too. :grin:

“My grandad’s name was Parkwood
Wore a coat of green
Took a wife in '31
Drove the big machine
My daddy load the lumber
Put it on the truck
Used to see him walking home on U.S. 41
That’s right, U.S. 41”

Damnit, you beat me to it. Yeah, there are non-novelty versions in marble mining.

6 Likes

That does not look very tactical at all.

2 Likes

Well, they ought to be worried about that. Their chain tension isn’t adjusted properly and it sounds like they have no chain oil on it at all!

1 Like

If it wasn’t so unwieldy I’d expect some person out there doing redwood-scale chainsaw carving.