V8 chainsaw

Originally published at: V8 chainsaw | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Because Internet, I thought, from the title, that this would have something to do with chainsaws and vegetable juice.

7 Likes

Lots of 215 Buicks, with good reason. Aluminum block.

5 Likes

Are the suspenders some kind of chainsaw cosplayer thing?

2 Likes

If you’re going to go to the trouble to make a chainsaw that big, I think you should strap it to a forklift or something so you don’t have to lift it.

3 Likes

5 Likes

My guess is that they could have sawed through that log just as fast with a V-6.

5 Likes

This is a whole bunch of different saws, in case anyone was misled by the description.

This is Hot Saw, the “freestyle” part of a logging competition where people bring whatever contraptions they think will be fastest. Lots of fun and some awesome backyard engineering.

3 Likes

They keep their pants up

2 Likes

Sweet.
One lesson this video teaches is that PPE is for losers.
I feel so lame gearing up before using my 12" cordless that is so weak I can almost stop the chain by pinching it.

2 Likes

Hillbillies gonna billy…

1 Like

In other news, logging continues to top the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ list of most dangerous jobs in America.

3 Likes

Given the short time needed to cut, converting to electric would yield significant speed improvement.

Using Tesla as a baseline technology, the electric motor can put out 362 HP. Which compares well to a V8. 362 HP is 270 kW. The battery pack supplies at 350 V (which gets changed to before the motor, but we can skip that part). So the battery would need to deliver 770 amps (Some sources say the motor uses 715 amps, so lines up.

Looks like they cut in under 2 seconds. Which is .000556 hours. Times the 770 amps is .428 AHr. Which would let you cut ~200 logs with a P100 battery.

Unfortunately, that battery is too heavy to lift. And that’s an awfully fast discharge rate for smaller batteries to handle. But in theory, about 15 kg of super-capacitors might get the job done.

35 kg of electric motor, 15 kg of capacitor. Those aren’t unreasonable numbers.

But I’m not going to try it. I have enough trouble not shorting AA batteries.

2 Likes

Liked the last one with “Binford” on it …

OK, now juggle 3 of them.

What kind of sissy lumberjack uses a V8 chainsaw without nitro and a turbocharger?

So I could go one up on them and make a W16 chainsaw?

Not that I would know where to start, and I couldn’t afford a W16 engine even if I did.

1 Like

Well, a rule is you have to be able to lift it or it’s no longer a saw- it’s now a sawmill. A Bugatti engine probably weighs 800 pounds, so factor that into your design. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Ok. So we just need to hire, like, Robert Oberst and Eddie Hall to do the lumberjack portion of the event.

Keyword there is almost

“Don’t pinch chainsaw with remaining fingers.”

1 Like