Which gas-powered chain saw is best?

Originally published at: Which gas-powered chain saw is best? | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I’ll take the saw that starts easily and reliably. I don’t care too much whether it cuts quickly. Speed is not always a positive, especially with chainsaws.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Simple: the saw that never leaves the shelf.

1 Like

3 Likes

Did he test them on bone? Asking for a friend.

1 Like

Just got an lithium battery chainsaw for use around the summer cabin, it works great. Still requires oil for the chain but charges quickly and lasts long enough to do the smaller trees.

5 Likes

The real test of a chainsaw, though, is does it still start easily fifteen years from now, in the cold, after a lifetime of imperfect maintenance. That’s the reality of most chainsaw use and the good ones will still show up for work every day. All saws start well when they’re brand new.

Cordless electric tools have come such a long way! Last summer I bought the DeWalt battery lawnmower, and I’m pleasantly shocked at how great it is. Chews through tough grass all day long, super light, super quiet, and zero maintenance.

We had a plug-in electric mower in the 80s, and that thing was terrible. No guts at all- the slightest resistance from the grass and it would stall and blow the breaker in the house. Plus you had to drag the huge cord around and try not to run over it.

6 Likes

Pretty out of touch to be linking 2 stroke chainsaw comparos in the year 2023. The same channel found that lithium chainsaws are legit competitive with the Stihl 2 stroke back in 2020.

1 Like

I had a Poulan and after a year it became hard to start and had trouble running for more than 15 minutes. Got a Stihl and had no such problems. Ran reliably for 10 years when I sold it because I don’t need it anymore.

1 Like

cut down all your trees? (/s)
i bought a Stihl to cut up downed trees/ branches after Irma. that’s pretty much all it’s for, clearing shit after a hurricane or bad tropical. that thing is really good.

Pardon my ignorance of chain saws, as I’ve never used one, but what is the purpose of the “bumper spikes”?

Trees are kinda weird. First you chop them down, then you chop them up.

1 Like

You jam them into the log, then use them as a pivot point so you can get straighter cuts. They also help with controlling kickback

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.