Darwin Award nominees: idiots with chainsaws

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/14/darwin-award-nominees-idiots.html

5 Likes

I don’t need/want to watch these, as someone who used to work in trees I know just how quick a situation can turn bad. Hire a professional folks, they have insurance (and skills).

23 Likes

I’d like to think in every single one of these, the trees are exacting their final revenge. And boy are some of them are rightfully spiteful.

6 Likes

Take the “Darwin Award” description seriously. Not all that far into the first video in the series, there’s an accident that was pretty clearly fatal.

6 Likes

Where’s the Life Insurance Agent when you need one.

2 Likes

“911 or no?”

Bless the folk who have a bad feeling about the fellers and just let it play out… /s

3 Likes

I will say the most dangerous thing I’ve felt like I’ve done is fell a tree. But it worked out just like it was supposed to.

I believe standard internet procedure is to now call for a ban because some people are too stupid to do something safely.

3 Likes

I had to have a very large tree taken down a few years ago (R.I.P. 80 year ash tree). It took them two days. I have to say that arborists are special kind of crazy; they were swinging around 40 feet in the air, and singing show tunes on my roof, but when they said “Heads up!”, if anyone wasn’t paying attention, he got his ass chewed out by the job lead. The owner of the company no longer climbs, and he may be 35, but he said that he’s broken nearly every bone in his body.

8 Likes

I have a chainsaw onna stick, but I mainly trim branches. The largest thing I’ve cut down has been an 8" palm tree that was growing in the way of my potting shed, and various fast growing seedlings that need to be gotten rid of before they do something obnoxious, like grow into the sewer or water supply. African Tulip Tree, I’m looking at you!

2 Likes

Nearly all those trees failed to kill someone (probably).

Try harder trees.

I think that me not having a Stihl MS 461 R Rescue chainsaw (hint: bbstore) even though I can afford to have it is a real sign of my maturity and growth.

3 Likes

These are essentially snuff films. Why have they not been taken down? I do have a problem with BB posting these.

2 Likes

I’ve been watching these for a while. I like to balance them out with August Hunicke’s channel which has multiple camera shoots of trees being cut down in a well-planned, careful manner.

I don’t think these are snuff films, because no one is murdered.

But there should definitely be a content warning.

1 Like

But those are not the worst, just the ones that are allowed on youtube.

2 Likes

Definitely, but you don’t know how much fun you are missing. I have Husqvarna 51, and that thing is awesome. MS 461 R would probably be even better, judging from how much power it has.

2 Likes

Clearly I need a spinning death chain with power to waste.

2 Likes

Hold my beer. Hand me that chainsaw.

3 Likes

nope.jpg

1 Like

Video below demonstrates chainsaw kickback - an easy way to get a Darwin award or DIY lobotomy: