Watch this poor guy cut down a tree that crashes on his house

Originally published at: Watch this poor guy cut down a tree that crashes on his house | Boing Boing

3 Likes

For many tasks, there are professionals. There is usually a reason.

21 Likes

oh, you got it, Margie, you got the whooole thing.

11 Likes

Just from the still picture, it looks like it’s leaning towards his house. And it’s big. Seems like the outcome was entirely predictable.

11 Likes

For many tasks, there are professionals. There is usually a reason.

I didn’t think I was that bad in bed…

15 Likes

Chainsaws and stupid people should be kept away from each other at all times.

10 Likes

Pshaw! Why hire a professional tree remover for $1000, when I can rent a chainsaw at Home Depot for $50?

Whadaya mean insurance won’t cover this?!

7 Likes

Looks like “only” the porch got it, so Glück im Unglück?

7 Likes

Sour grapes man sez:
“I wasn’t gonna use that porch for a while, too cold out.
Actually never really liked it anyway…”

6 Likes

You pay a professional for a reason…

6 Likes

It fell so slowly…and he just stood and watched instead of trying to alter its trajectory. :man_shrugging:

Steve Urkel Oops GIF

4 Likes

Simple solution would have been to hook up a hand winch and cinch it down in the direction you want the tree to fall if the branches are on one side or if it’s naturally leaning in the wrong direction. Also FFS wear a hard hat, I can’t count the number of times I’ve seen a dead branch snap off a tree while someone is cutting it and nearly get crushed under it.

6 Likes

Ya know what convinces me to hire a pro? Videos like this.

Worst I’ve seen is kickback into the face and total head-squishing.

Last week my neighbor went up on his garage to cut some overhanging limbs - I lent him my fall-arrest harness and some ropes. The cutting part went fine but twice he lost his balance and twice the harness kept him from going over the edge. Any safety gear is better than none at all.

19 Likes

i don’t think any amount of pushing once that thing is falling is going to make it miss the house.

10 Likes

Even I could see that tree was leaning towards the house. Should have used wedges to push it over the other way.

I cut down a medium sized tree once and it was probably one of the most dangerous things I have done. But I did my home work and it fell right where it should.

8 Likes

Ironically, that is probably why they decided to fell it in the first place…

8 Likes

Years of watching America’s Funniest Home Videos has taught me to be skeptical of videos set up like this. Why are we filming a tree felling? Why are the things that are about to be destroyed so pleasantly framed in the setup? The only thing that could add more suspicion is if the cinematographer panned over to the house at the opening.

This one could go either way, to be sure, but I’m inclined to at least speculate about ulterior motives for this whole situation. Insurance fraud?

1 Like

You’re looking at this wrong - this was a skillful use of a tree to remove a porch. Totally did this on purpose.

10 Likes

Tell me you’ve never cut down a big tree before without telling me you’ve never cut down a big tree before. “alter it’s trajectory”?? :joy: :joy: :joy:

4 Likes

@knoxblox Yeah, sometimes even the most obvious sarcasm needs a /s tag.

3 Likes