Darwin Award nominees: idiots with chainsaws

I have some trees on my property line that need to come down as they were planted too close together and they are dying. Thanks for posting this, i will recall these videos when i decide if i will take them down myself or not.

3 Likes

YIKES! Even I know not to lead with the toe!

A Saws-all would be the tool for that job.

2 Likes

Homo Sapiens Sapiens, the master of tool use…

How does modern man survive being human? Dumb luck fucks.

Us too, a massive oak that was around 250 years old – around since before the US Revolution. I counted the tree rings (took pictures then used paint shop pro). The company that did it was extremely professional and did a fabulous job. But it was so sad to see it go.

To see guys using chainsaws in such unsafe ways is just hard to believe.

4 Likes

I couldn’t even finish one whole video. Not because of the content, but because every cameraperson belongs in Reddit’s r/killthecameraman

5 Likes

What made it sort of okay for me, was that the tree was pretty much dead; they kept asking “The tree leafed out last year?”, in a surprised tone. It probably dated from shortly after the house was built.

2 Likes

BoingBoing at 6:29

Definitely. Not only it’s way safer, but also with a proper blade it can easily cut through any embedded nails.
Yesterday I had to cut through 25x200 mm cross section billet (aircraft grade aluminum alloy) and it was easier than I thought it would be.
I don’t know why, but in Poland that kind of saw is frequently called “fox tail” (“lisi ogon”) :slight_smile:

Ours too. Leaves brown and dried. A friend noticed before we did!

1 Like

We have a lot of trees to take down. Mostly weedy, rod-straight spruces and firs that grow skinny and tall. Most are quite easy and safe to fell with a wee 16" chainsaw. We call a pro to deal with anything too close to buildings or power lines, or anything too big for me, but that leaves a lot.

My problem is that my confidence grows as I take down more of them and start to fell trickier and trickier ones. I really should leave this one for the pros… nah, I got this.

I guess that’s one good thing about winter. A few months to step back, reset my evaluation of the risk and become appropriately cautious again. There’s a certain tree I’ve been eyeing. I know I should leave it for a pro. And yet I also look at it and think oh come on, it isn’t that bad…

Hoping that 4-5 months to ponder my stupidity will keep me away from that tree come spring.

2 Likes

While the fails are mostly amusing (and scary as hell), the videos of the channel owner at work are masterclasses in how to do it properly and safely - particularly liked this one:

Very neat job on a very big tree!

2 Likes

In Oz, it’s a reciprocating saw.

I had no idea what the fuck a “sawzall” was when I first encountered the term.

4 Likes

Like Jell-O, Kleenex, or Sharpie, we just can’t help helping market certain brands in the US, I guess.

3 Likes

Same here (Germany) - Fuchsschwanz.

Tool names…
In Austria an adjustable (open end) spanner is a Franzose while in Germany it’s an Engländer.
I could see compiling a comparative dictionary as a hobby for my pensioner days.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.