Bill Cosby's new prison digs are known for racism, violence and systematic abuse

I think you need to go re-read what was there, as it’s not advocated for violence against Cosby, but against the violence of the American prison system. I assure you, that many of us would not abide by that kind of shit and would actively call it out. People calling for prison raped often have their post flagged, as it’s against community standards.

As awful and horrific as what Cosby did, he doesn’t deserve to be raped and murdered himself. He should serve his time and ideally, get therapy and perhaps come out of prison humbled and contrite for the pain he caused so many women. All this retributive form of punishment does is make new victims and make those who commit crimes more likely to understand what they’ve done to others.

15 Likes

A prison rape joke is a rape joke. I suspect Cosby will not survive a three year sentence in a maximum security prison at his age with his notoriety.

2 Likes

Sorry this is vile.

If you are against rape, you’re against rape.

Watch this and ponder laughing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/09/opinion/contributors/the-rape-jokes-we-still-laugh-at.html

3 Likes

When people chuckle about cutesy “prison nicknames,” the joke is that someone’s gonna make this guy his bitch and give him a demeaning name.

Maybe you haven’t encountered that before. It’s even possible that’s not what the author intended. But that doesn’t make it okay. I think we can all agree that “I didn’t mean it that way so it doesn’t count” is a poor excuse for anything.

1 Like

On top of the other complaints I’m going to call this “Puddin’” shit racist.

Cosby has never spoken with a particularly strong accent unless he was playing a character other than himself, and in those stupid Jell-O commercials he pronounced the word pudding the same as everybody else in the world.

4 Likes

I’d agree with that 100 percent if it weren’t for the existence of White-Collar Prisons.Not that rape is considered a white collar crime but those detention spas should not exist.

Here’s a golden opportunity to turn the prison around:
Why not have the other inmates do a theatre play of Fat Albert with Cosby as director?

Man, I dunno about all of this. Cosby is an evil man who deserves to spend the rest of his life in prison, but I don’t think that means we should cheer on the barbarism of the American criminal justice system. It’s not okay or justified for anybody to rape anybody, ever, so giving him a “prison nickname” and implying that he’s going to be prison raped and that it’s somehow just for him to be raped only helps to perpetuate rape culture.

The guy needs to be locked up, probably for life. We shouldn’t kill him, he can be safely contained within a prison. He’s likely far beyond anything that would really matter much with regards to rehabilitation, so confinement is likely the best option. Cheering on the idea of him being raped and/or murdered is ghoulish, and though Cosby is a disgusting man, we cannot make arbitrary exceptions to our principles and still call them our principles.

Violence perpetuates violence, and we can’t admonish it with one hand and support it with the other.

4 Likes

I’m sure he can smooth things out with a few comedy routines.

“So this skinhead falls down in the lunch line and I ask him if he’s alright, and he gets offended, screams at me ‘of COURSE I’m all white, I’m in the Aryan Brotherhood!’”

1 Like

I don’t know about any one else, but I never “chuckled” at his prison name. The MAIN POINT of the article was that the prison system is violent and maybe we should pay attention to that.

And yes, I’m well aware of that, you don’t need to talk down to me.

I don’t think this is what’s happening here… even with @SeamusBellamy employing the presumed nickname. He’s trying to highlight the Root article where it talks about the extreme levels of violence at this particular prison.

7 Likes

There’s nothing, anywhere, in that post that indicates the author is for the violence there. Reporting on the terrible state of affairs at the facility in question is just that - reporting.

While I do agree that the choice to include a prison name is a little high on the Snark-o-Meter, I’d hardly argue that the reality that he probably will get a prison name as an endorsement of that fact any more than reporting that he is likely to be the subject of bigotry while there.

IMHO stories like this make people uncomfortable because they have to come to terms with what their government is supporting, and in some cases, endorsing. The answer isn’t to choose not to report it, however.

10 Likes

You’re right, I forgot about the Club Feds. Still, just an exception to the rule. The vast majority of prisons are awful everyone: Inmates, inmates’ visitors, corrections officers, etc., etc., etc. But, you know, voting blocs, special interests, etc., must be served. Even some very awful people need to be locked away. A very f***ed up system.

Yo don’t think “let’s just go ahead and assume his prison name will be Puddin’”, followed by calling him Puddin’ throughout the article, was intended to be humorous?

Certainly. That doesn’t change the fact that “LOL prison name” jokes are distasteful.

1 Like

I was chatting with an associate who served time. He had worked on Jack Abramoff’s staff and went down at the same time Abramoff went down. He still works in Washington and has a decent gig.

I asked him about his prison experience and what is true and what isnt. He said prisoner to prisoner rape is actually vanishingly rare. It just doesnt happen that much. What does happen is that people become flexible in their sexuality inside. No one talks about it but it is understood that such men are not considered gay or to be censured.

What is more of a problem is abuse of rules by prison authorities.

Um… did he serve time in a prison like this, or a white collar joint. I’m gonna guess that the experiences between the two are probably rather different.

1 Like

It was hard time. He met a lot of black guys - made a change for him as he was ex army intelligence and Senate staffer. He says he got on well with them. However his observations were interesting to me and subsequently confirmed elsewhere. Basically prisoners generally don’t rape prisoners. Its frowned upon. However there is more sex than is understood.

Apparently its not commonly spoken of, but many young gang members have intimate relationships while inside. These are not spoken of when they leave jail.

People tell you stuff and you assume they tell you the truth. I looked him up. Turns out he served a very short amount of time. Less than 6months. He was facing 12-24 months but cooperated.

That just means “in prison”. Dollars to donuts he was in a minimum-security joint, just like Abramoff himself, and has never seen the inside of a maximum-security prison like Phoenix SCI.

1 Like

Quite - thats what he told me but at the time I didnt pry. I just looked him up and I found a news report which said he had a cooperation agreement and did a very small amount of jail time. So I dont know how reliable his comments were now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.