Bill Cosby's new prison digs are known for racism, violence and systematic abuse

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/29/bill-cosbys-new-prison-digs.html

1 Like

Well, if he’s able to do a small bit of recompense to the world, perhaps his notoriety will bring some sunlight to the situation and start the cleanup of the rot in our prison system. I’d prefer that to the alternative simple revenge fantasy this situation seems to be teeing up…

77 Likes

I hope he settles in nicely, finds someone nice, perhaps falls in love for the sunset years of his life.

2 Likes
9 Likes

I’ve long advocated prison reform, and I’ve also been agnostic as to the offenses of the incarcerated to that end. I consider preferential or offense-based prison reform no reform at all.

13 Likes

Well, at least now all those people trying to tell you that race isn’t important in the justice system, only money, will finally STFU.

HAH! I kid, I kid.

5 Likes

That means the prison is no different than AmeriKKKa

2 Likes

So why give him a cutesy/prison rape nickname? It rather moots your thesis

15 Likes

During world war II, Jim Peck and Bayard Rustin and others did time rather than go to war. As soon as they got there, the two started a campaign to desegregate the dining hall.

This is some of the foundation of the civil rights movement, many went on to fight segregation in the greater world after the war.

If this is such a racist prison, Bill Cosby could redeem himself at least somewhat by working against the racism. It’s an odd situation because he had clout, but he lost it with the events that sent him to prison.

12 Likes

Puddin’ hahaha…

Here’s an interesting, but rather dilute, long read that includes how racism is used by the prison system. https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/09/21/kent-sorenson-was-a-tea-party-hero-then-he-lost-everything-220522

2 Likes

I feel pretty uncomfortable at the “prison name”. He deserves punishment but let’s not revel in the inhuman cruelty in the prison system.

47 Likes

Right: it’s not ok for anyone.

10 Likes

I can’t say I feel upset or unhappy that bad things are happening to Cosby.

But it’s not right that our prison system is just an elaborate torture chamber for something a bit more than 1% of the total population, a massive amount of whom are non-violent drug offenders etc.

28 Likes

I know, right? All these examples of how the prison belittles the humanity of its inmates, but just to let everyone know that OP isn’t soft on crime, let’s call our star a belittling snack name.

I think its OK to be glad that he was finally called to account, and that he’s being punished, while still disagreeing with the way this place treats its prisoners. The time for belittling snack names is when they’re still out there doing wrong. Once El Cheetolini is safely behind bars, I’ll be happy to call him Donald.

17 Likes

I’m sure that Uncle Puddin’ Pop’s* fellow African-American prisoners can’t wait for him to lecture them on the rap music and the low-slung pants and the drug abuse that landed them in the slammer.

[* my own longstanding nickname for him long before Hannibal Buress outed him]

6 Likes

Agreed - the author sounds pleased that racism and violence are commonplace there. I expected better of Boing Boing.

17 Likes

No sarcasm meant, but where Cos is housed is special how? Sounds like every single prison in the nation. What’s different here?

2 Likes

inb4 someone asks whether you’re disappointed in boingboing.

3 Likes

Wow this post is in seriously poor taste. Systematic violence by the prison system is not justice, and any satisfaction we take from it is based in revenge rather than in actually improving the world and healing the violence that begat him in the first place.

7 Likes