Bill Gates attempts to guess the prices of everyday grocery items

Out of touch billionaire is out of touch.

But he’s much better at guessing your weight!

1 Like

Is that a moustache ride joke?

1 Like

It’s an old fashioned carney game. And some junior high boys would say that so they could hold girls.

I

2 Likes

They pick up the banana, just look at it, and don’t know what it costs.

I’ve been on an “eat for cheap” kick this winter, and I’m finding that the more I shop at Aldi, the more I like it. Sure, it’s one of the most no-frills stores from the moment I walk in, but when I can cook up a pot of sausage jambalaya for under $4 (did that one tonight), or an amazingly good frozen pizza for under $3, why do I need luxurious shopping experiences? I’ve been quite happy with their house-brand merchandise, and even when there’s a name brand it’s usually cheaper than elsewhere. Considering what I was spending on restaurant meals, it’s well worth the extra effort to cook for myself. I just have to stay absolutely militant about keeping ahead of the dishwashing.

4 Likes

Why would anyone actually buy Tide Pods?
Seriously…
eta: I forgot; to try and eat one, of course.

2 Likes

I’ve been doing beans and rice augmented with a little meat and lots of steamed veggies. I do the beans from dry beans, and make charros. I make Spanish rice with a little tomato sauce in it and spices. Super cheap to eat this way.

2 Likes

@Wanderfound , I call BS on the Peter Coffin tweet. There are ~750M people in extreme poverty today (less than ~$1.90/day). You can’t solve the problem at $40 a person (~3 weeks at that rate) unless you are going for 'Well we solved the problem for a month, so everything will be fine from now on."

The 750M number actually represents a huge improvement in the past few decades.

I suspect he got the $30 billion figure from this:

https://borgenproject.org/the-cost-to-end-world-hunger/

So, hunger instead of all poverty.

EDIT

Actually, it might’ve been this:

2 Likes

So the g-rated version of Free Moustache rides.

Either of those numbers: $30B to end hunger, $60B to end extreme poverty (as in get people to an infinitesimal fraction of a penny a day above the extreme poverty line) are annual costs.

Still worthwhile, but not something that Bill Gates alone can sustain for more than a few years.

And neither of them gets everybody in the world to the point where they can feast on Tide Pods every day.

So for 72 pods it is roughly a quarter a load. Ten bucks sez there are homemade detergent recipes that are less (tho scale reduces commercial detergent costs). Or wait for the store brand to go on super sale or something.

But the really important question is: how many tide pods can Bill fit in his mouth?

If Obama said he did 7 and held em for 60 seconds, I bet we could get u-know-who to stuff ten in his gob!

1 Like

Not on my food list, although I hear it’s popular.

At least Bill probably knows what a scanner is.

Yeah yeah, even Snopes goes out of their way to be nice to Bush Sr.

Moreover, Bush had good reason to express wonder: He wasn’t being shown then-standard scanner technology, but a new type of scanner that could weigh groceries and read mangled and torn bar codes.

Prove to me that Bush the Elder even knew the difference between scanners and scanners with extra bells.

1 Like

“I have no idea what the bottle of milk costs, but the store is probably worth around $1.2 million”

1 Like
2 Likes

Um, isn’t that what we’re supposed to do?

Isn’t our entire economic system based on the assumption that everybody does that all the time?

1 Like

Although To be fair I wouldn’t know how much it costs to rent St. Bart’s from Christmas Eve through New Year’s.

3 Likes

I was having fun speculating how exactly you did this, until I noticed the word “who”.

4 Likes

Our local store brand has many categories of foodstuffs that are better than the brand name product. It’s weird, but it saves us a chunk of change.

4 Likes

Same here. Better quality for a lower price. Makes one feel unAmerican buying it.

Sorry for the typo. Hehehe…

2 Likes