Bill Gates is holed up in his $12.5 million California desert mansion, while Melinda and kids chill on a $132,000 per night private island

I have to admit my level of caring about this is very little.

SpotlessWebbedAfricanporcupine-size_restricted

9 Likes

Admittedly though, that’s what he paid for it in ‘99. It could be worth 10x or more now.

8 Likes

$132,000 a night. When they own between them a dozen or so multi-million dollar mansions, most of which I suspect they’ve barely stayed in (thus negating the “too many memories” stuff). The rich need to be less rich, and that money needs to go to helping real families.

8 Likes

ouran-HS-host-club-haruhi-rich-people

7 Likes

You know, I’m not going to care much about this, or take any joy in it.

Rich people have interpersonal problems just like everyone else, and with the amount of humanitarian work that they’ve done through their foundation, I’ve been pretty pleased to see that there was at least some rich bastard that with the great power that shit-tons of money brings, at least a little social responsibility comes.

So yeah, not really caring. Hope this doesn’t distract or detract from the charity work. And it’s definitely not like the joy I’d get from hearing that one of his neighbors got a horrible Koch infection that required amputation…

1 Like

Perhaps in CA. I think the main attraction for the Gates was the privacy and exclusivity… meaning safety. Just being famous can significantly raise one’s chance of being tracked down and murdered by a complete stranger. Plus, who wants annoying strangers walking up to you all day long.

As far as the lives of frugal billionaires:

2 Likes

Gates managed to burn a lot of that goodwill this year with his vaccine patent advocacy for me. A lot of extra people are dead because of that work. They Pledged to Donate Rights to Their COVID Vaccine, Then Sold Them to Pharma - KFF Health News Two weeks ago Gates was meeting with the USTR to oppose the TRIPS waiver Readout of Ambassador Katherine Tai’s virtual meeting with Bill Gates about increasing vaccine production and combatting the Covid-19 pandemic on a global scale | United States Trade Representative While they’ve changed course within the last two weeks, it did a lot of damage. Gates Foundation reverses course on COVID-19 vaccine patents | Devex

5 Likes

Used to be, Bill’s biggest problem was some guy with a banana cream pie and a good throwing arm.

4 Likes

It looks like those crazy kids are gonna be all right.

This is proof that I have different values than Bill Gates, because his Xanadu property has a trampoline room. After your divorce, why wouldn’t you stay there?

It’s a big place. You probably just keep missing one another, Scooby Doo style.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.