Bill Nye provides insight on science slang

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/20/bill-nye-provides-insight-on-s.html

2 Likes

Bill Nye is a national treasure, FACT!

3 Likes

“Hinny” is no more “science slang” than “mule” is.

1 Like

Hey, I knew about half of those. I are smart!

4 Likes

Exactly. And arsole is no more slang than methane. Slang isn’t just a word scientists use but that some people haven’t heard of. Slang needs to be informal, colloquial, usually limited to verbal communication, and rarely used outside a specific community. Most of those words were just the proper words for things.

4 Likes

And you guys are just no fun. :rofl:

I don’t find silly inaccuracy clothed as fact to be particularly “fun”, frankly.

And I think this pretty well proves my point. There is a difference between “inaccurate” (which is just plain wrong) and using an interesting hook to draw folks into a conversation in an area they may not be familiar or comfortable in. Are the terms strictly “slang?” Maybe not, but this in not a lexicographic presentation, it is a fun bit to make science interesting to the general public. I will take that for what it is worth.

1 Like

Um, no. The terms above aren’t even remotely slang; in fact, exactly the opposite is true. I love Bill Nye but asserting the opposite of the truth is not of service to science. It’s quite literally misinformation.

For example “hinny” (the offspring of a female donkey and a male horse, they are significantly different from mules) is a rather old term that was NOT coined by scientists, and also is NOT “slang” of any sort (unless you’re a Scot, referring to your mate). It’s literally “the” word for such an offspring, FFS.

2 Likes

How about Bill Nye teaches critical thinking…

3 Likes

If you choose to make this your hill to die on, you be you. I think it is nothing more than a cute hook to draw attention. Let’s face it, Bill’s audience tends younger and less fussy. I don’t have a problem with it.

1 Like

Context: Vanity fair has a series of these videos with personalities “teach us” some words from their place of origin, which is why they are going with this title.

4 Likes

Roger that.

1 Like

“Masshole” is slang, FFS. “Hinny” is NOT, nor are nearly all of the terms in the Bill Nye video. “Context”, you say? Mmhm, yeah.

@docosc Condescend all you like, I simply do not appreciate gross inaccuracy in the name of “science”, much less the exact opposite of the truth. Why should I care if you have a problem with either the video or my opinion? Where’s the attitude coming from?

1 Like

As I said, you be you. I really am not interested in arguing over what is a pretty silly thing. This is not earth shaking research, it is a fun video aimed at younger people. Nothing to be taken too seriously. I like Bill Nye, when I was a kid he was one of my science heroes and inspired by future doings. Eventually I outgrew his style of “science communication,” but still appreciate it for a less sophisticated audience. I do understand your point, and even agree it is a valid argument, just not in agreement that it is anything to get exorcised about. BTW, if you took my reply as condescending, it was not meant to be. I am generally a silly person and enjoy other silly people. If you require seriousness, I am probably not your cup of tea.

1 Like

For why the title is what it is? Yes.
A defense or approval of it? No.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.