Billboard promises sedation

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/07/billboard-promises-sedation.html

10 Likes
75 Likes

You’ve never seen those before? Welcome to America, Rob.

Edit: god DAMMIT! :slight_smile:

44 Likes

Ba ba bamp-ba ba-ba-ba bamp-ba…:laughing:

18 Likes

“Sedation dentistry is used to provide a relaxing and anxiety-free experience for patients too afraid to go to the dentist and receive necessary routine dental care. “

This is right off their website: www.pghdentalspa.com

“For sedation dentistry from a caring, experienced dentist in Pittsburgh, PA call our office”

That billboard is still crazy though.

8 Likes

1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4,

Stereo.

5 Likes

Clicked into thread
Nodded in approval at first two comments.

Keep up the good work, BBS.

30 Likes

Can I just stop by for a top off on Friday evening?

34 Likes

I can’t control my brain

9 Likes

I’m sedated right now.

37 Likes

If that’s sedated for the woman on the billboard, I would hate to see her when she’s at 100%.

30 Likes

I guess maybe I rather be…

Wow, takes me back a bit.

2 Likes

“Scared of the Democrats? No, I called and got SEDATED!”.

5 Likes

There’s at least one dentistry billboard in Van Nuys that actually says “I Need To Be Sedated”. I get that song stuck in my head every time I drive past.

On a somewhat-related note, a bit of a PSA:
There are “markers” inside your mouth that dentists use to determine where to inject the Novocaine. (I don’t know the technical term for those markers, nor any real detail; I’ve only heard the dentist or hygienist talk about them while my mouth was being worked on.) It turns out that my markers are “in the wrong place”, whatever that means; as a result, every time I went to the dentist up till about ten years ago, the injections missed the nerve they were aiming for. My entire cheek would be numb and sliding down my face, but the teeth and gums were still totally awake. When my first wisdom tooth was extracted, I was actually given “twilight sleep” but my wife could still hear me screaming out in the waiting room. When my third one got pulled, the dentist sneered and told me I had a “low tolerance for pain”.

About ten years ago, a friend was finishing up her dental-hygienist certification and needed some patients. I volunteered, and it turned out that she was the first person to realize that I wasn’t getting numbed properly. She called over her instructor, and that’s when I found out about markers and my own misshapen mouth. Ever since, I only only need to say “my markers are in the wrong place”; the dentist then takes a closer look and injects the stuff where it actually needs to go. Dentistry has been, if not pleasant, at least not a nightmare of torture since then.

So if you’ve ever wondered whether dental work should be hurting as much as it does, ask the dentist to take a closer look. My condition is rare, but it’s far from unique; you might have it too.

28 Likes

29 Likes

20 Likes

It works for some people.

13 Likes

Last time I ordered nitrous at the dentist they brought me a tray of ‘flavor scented’ nose masks.
They had choices like sea side breeze, Margarita, wild flower, vanilla, chocolate, mint…etc.
I had the mint. It was very pleasant.

15 Likes

I AM THOR!

8 Likes

Up until my current dentist, I always hated the numbing injections.

However, my new guy says that the best way to do it is NOT to inject, but pull the gum a little bit and put the needle in between the tooth and gum. He also does this while pinching the opposite cheek and pulling it away. Apparently, this has the added effect of overwhelming (his term) the facial nerves so you don’t notice the gum/tooth manipulation for the needle.

I don’t know if he’s totally bullshitting me or what, but I swear that I’ve never felt anything at all from the entire numbing process. He’s pretty old-school and close to retirement, so it might be either.

12 Likes