Billie Eilish: 'Therefore I Am' (VIDEO)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/12/new-billie-eilish-therefore-i-am.html

4 Likes

An Ecco store and a Uniqlo. Nice.

Descartes is dancing in his grave.

8 Likes

Is she going to eat that pretzel…without any mustard!?!?!

7 Likes

It is weird how long it has been since I’ve been in a mall.

9 Likes

Does every single mall look the same or what? Wow. I could swear this looks identical to the mall in my hometown, but I’m sure she didn’t shoot this there. Speaking from the East Coast, btw.

Also, slightly off topic, but I just watched the Jasper Mall documentary the other day. I would highly recommend it if you like that sort of thing.

3 Likes

World by the balls, that one.

3 Likes

Now that is a young woman who clearly enjoys her carbohydrates.

2 Likes

Minor nitpick but the cut in the video halfway through was a bummer. I was hoping for a single take vid but oh well.

Broke kayfabe when it got to the Hot Dog on a Stick and Chipotle being stocked.

2 Likes

Thanks for this reco - hadn’t heard about this!

1 Like

I thought it was a great decision in context of the song. It deliberately disappoints. It turns us into the person she’s singing about.

2 Likes

It looked familiar to me as well. I’ve been to the Glendale Galleria (where this was shot), but it could be almost any modern mall (the one near me in the OC looks a lot like this one), and the one I lived near in Torrance looked like this as well.

I suspect that there have been a lot of studies on how malls need to look to keep the $ flowing, and this is the relatively current standard.

4 Likes

Well you know what they say…If you’ve seen one building with a bunch of stores in it, you’ve seen them all.

2 Likes

I think she was just snagging the pre-bagged tortilla chips from the Chipotle. But the Hot Dog on a Stick thing did feel a bit staged. I suppose if I was going for a No-Prize, I’d point out of that sometimes stores like that put out little enticing displays of their food to lure in customers. Which means that she’s eating cold fries that have likely been sitting there for several hours. Ewwwww…

And take my love for “kayfabe.” Awesome word that doesn’t get used enough.

1 Like

There is only one mall, actually, but it exists in infinite parallel versions on a multidimensional plane as a potential that will be realized as an individual rendering when someone decides to enter a mall.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.