Billionaire Branson plans to beat Billionaire Bezos to space

This is lika a game of russian roulette. Who is going to tell Barnson that “Sorry, we got a minor problem and should spend a couple of weeks testing it”? Space travel is dangerous, and adding a time factor only makes it worse.

1 Like

that’s why you advertise for a lookalike on craigslist and send them in your place.

5 Likes

Blowing fortunes? Not really. Both men are building companies that will very quickly lead to hundreds and then thousands of ordinary people being able to see the planet from a perspective that was previously reserved only for gods and astronauts. It’s the exact same model from the earliest days of aviation. When commercial flight began the price of a ticket was way, way out of the scope of your average citizen. Now you can fly just about anyplace on the planet for peanuts. Same thing with commercial space flight. It can only be a good thing for humanity overall if we can lift more hearts and minds into the stars.

And to add to that: SpaceShipTwo is a proven deathtrap.

Rich White Flight.

MV5BODM5ODI2NjcwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTQxNTU2.V1

7 Likes

Not sure I agree with it being the same business model. In the early days of aviation they mostly made money by delivering mail, then a little later by passenger flights that quickly transported people to useful destinations. The Virgin Galactic vehicle is never going to do anything beyond short sightseeing flights and there are no future plans for a more capable spaceplane. Maybe someday the Bezos rockets will take passengers to an orbital resort or even space colonies, but for the foreseeable future it’s purely for recreational use as far as the general public is concerned.

5 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean by this but they are not exactly going to stars are they? And why would that be a good thing? Please stop nonsensical enhancement of global warming.

2 Likes
  • Come-on Bezos, are you gonna take that!? Lash those techs for a surprise early blast-off!
  • Did you hear that Branson? you can’t allow that! load that liquid oxygen at twice, no thrice, speed, and blast-off thirteen hours ahead o’ old-Baldy!
  • Go Bezos go! push the button now - pre-flight checks are how you remain J.C.Penneys!
  • etc and so forth toward a fitting finale
1 Like

“stars” metaphorically speaking. Was thinking more along the lines of the OverView Effect

1 Like

But… it’s a dick measuring contest IN SPACE!

4 Likes

These seem like nothing other than expensive and much riskier amusement park rides.

There’s no there there.

1 Like

Have you read The Mouse on the Moon?

2 Likes

I saw the excellent film. :wink:

1 Like

Clash of the Titans! Hope they remembered their owls.

Somewhere, possibly, Yuri Gagarin laughs.

1 Like

Maybe the “to” can become a “in”?

53ndpm7dgpey

4 Likes

3 Likes

Rockets are evidently cheaper than literally climbing on the backs of the poor, then?

4 Likes

Is it bad that I saw that image and thought of the Nibelheim reactor from Final Fantasy 7?

3 Likes