Billionaire Cartier boss returns from fishing holiday gripped with terror that the poors are going to start building guillotines

“Of course sir, I’ll lure some muggers to the bat-cave and have them stand right in the path of this bat-mo-beele

2 Likes

Dunno. The modern solution, since the dawn of the rich born from the industrial revolution, is to become (truly) philanthropic rather than an emperor-like vanishing into chambers.

Actually, and apols for slightly off-topic:

Luxury goods 150 years ago used to mean you were getting something of quality that functioned well, and were pretty.

Now, there is very little that you can’t buy at reasonable prices (if you’re sensible about choosing) that doesn’t function well.

Paradoxically, Seiko have increased their luxury division of watches - as it seems there are people happy to pay lots, but have the appearance of being in touch with the common worker. Check out their $5k watches. They don’t tell time better (but they are indeed “nice”).

So nowadays, luxury isn’t what it was, generally. It’s more gauche, more flashy, more uselessly advertising of access to excessive funds.

Which kind of makes it easier to target.

I’m thinking about the Facebook data breach, then all these private networks for the dirty rich, who wish to keep away from the dirty poor, even digitally.

My, I’m sure you could glean just about any information you wished from those websites.

2 Likes

Yeah, that graph. I used to quiz people on this in around 2013-2014 when people were saying the economy had recovered.

“Guess what percentage of the economic recovery went to the top 10%”

They’d say, “I don’t know, 99%?”

The answer was 103%. The economic “recovery” was an outright lie.

11 Likes

As a form of reply, an excerpt from Small Gods by Terry Pratchett:

2 Likes

Interesting article (and comments!), but could you chill with the images of guillotines?

That machine was used during what the French call « la Terreur » (“The Reign of Terror”) for mass executions, and then as the symbol of the death penalty (declared illegal in 1981).

There is a breed of sheep peculiar to the Lake District that are easily as dickish as goats. They are quite amusing beasts.

1 Like

Solid gold wrist-mounted truck balls.

2 Likes

They’re the ones I’m familiar with. It changes your perspective on the word “sheeple” considerably.

ETA:

4 Likes

He lost his head at “year long fly-fishing sabbatical” for those keeping detailed scorecards.

2 Likes

Are you under the impression that people here aren’t aware of that?

12 Likes

7 Likes

I will cure his insomnia for a mere $7B.

2 Likes

I hear that in Dana Carvey’s Johnny Caron voice!

3 Likes

Yup, Herdwicks, that’s it. I’ve seen 'em give dogs a right scare when they’ve tried to chase them. Dedicated escapologists, too.

1 Like

“Sheep go to heaven, goats go to hell” - Cake

1 Like

Sheep go to heaven, goats go to wherever they want to go.

5 Likes

Although it may take a few tries.

1 Like

Apparently.

Cory Doctorow uses it as a “kill the rich” symbol, but that’s not what it was most used for.

1 Like

The guy in charge of Cartier and MontBlanc is concerned with envy?

:laughing:

Has he checked his business model? The inequality, it’s coming from inside the house, Johann.

2 Likes