Billionaire Cartier boss returns from fishing holiday gripped with terror that the poors are going to start building guillotines

Do you suppose Johann fears a reign of ticklefights? Image is apt.

That Cory, always marching to the beat of his own drummer

the wolves are running the surveillance equipment, using it to find the easy marks and the less easy marks.

This story is of a wolf who has realized he’s just a goat, and he will be eaten by the other wolves in short enough order.

Cory uses it as a “this is what happens when inequality gets totally out of hand” symbol. It’s a warning and shorthand for violent revolution, not a prescription.

11 Likes

It’s not the first article where Cory adds a guillotine.

Good point, maybe I was overinterpreting the imagery.

2 Likes

Right? Sheesh, some folks are so literal.

2 Likes

The horrors.

1 Like

There’s a little baby billionaire in all of us. So cute.

1 Like

Well, it is a symbol of violence either way, the question was about author’s intent.

Yep, it’s a pretty horrible invention, which we thankfully got rid of in the eighties.

Your point was that Johann fears a violent uprising (which is fair), but Cory uses that image on articles about inequality, not violence, in a manner I saw as flippant.

Your concern has been duly noted.

5 Likes

Sorry, I’ll leave you to your echo chamber now.

Would that all the scum would take year-long fly-fishing sabbaticals. A bit of contemplation can go a long way.

Guitar strings are easier to come by. And you only need one handle because the other end makes a noose.

We are. At least I am.

Hard to remember exact years this far on but I wanna say it was around '09-10 or so when probably 75% of the people I knew on our block lost their jobs. It was traumatic and it always sucks, but in about 6 months to a year everyone was working again in comparable (or even better) jobs, and unemployment benefits tided people over. Maybe more money was flowing to the rich, but most people in my middle/working class neighborhood were fine. That’s barely going to get people to vote differently, much less take to the streets with guillotines.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.