Billionaire chronicles

Just another parasitic hoarder.

4 Likes

It’s a reason. But there are so many regulatory benefits to the super rich.

2 Likes

In 2019, a Facebooker named Kevin Robinson wrote in a mode that remains thrillingly inspirational,

I was at Whole Foods yesterday, which is owned by Amazon, which paid $0 in income taxes on $11 Billion in profits in 2018, and which is operated by Jeff Bezos, who is worth roughly $112 Billion, making him the wealthiest man in the world.

The reason that I mention this is that Whole Foods was having a holiday food drive and had the absolutely ludicrous fucking audacity to suggest that I purchase food from them so I could then give it back to them so that they could use it to feed hungry families during the holidays. In essence, a man who is worth more money than the average human would earn in 45,000 lifetimes asked me to give him $5 so that hungry children could have crackers because it is essential that he profit before hungry people eat.

Whole Foods and Jeff Bezos should not need me to broker this transaction, but since they asked, I solved the problem that they are either too stupid or too selfish to solve on their own by walking through the aisles, grabbing armfuls of food and depositing it in the donation bins. You’re fucking welcome.

It’s really a zero-risk maneuver, as you haven’t stolen anything, simply placed items in a different location in the store, and in the unlikely event that you are confronted by an overworked and underpaid Whole Foods employee, you can ask them to try to sort your contribution out of the donation bin by figuring out the exact point when they are taking food out of the mouths of hungry children and when they are taking money out of the pocket of the man who accumulated that money by underpaying and overworking his employees.

I will be doing this on every visit to Whole Foods throughout the holidays and hope that all of you do the same. Happy Holidays.

10 Likes

I’m also wary of any charity donation solicitations made at the register. What you are often doing is reimbursing the donations that the business has already made, and claimed a write-off for.

9 Likes

This is absolutely fucking brilliant. I don’t shop at Whole Foods, but I may go just to try this.

5 Likes

6 Likes

At risk of repeating myself:

3 Likes

You are right to be skeptical, CVS promised to give millions to diabetes research and paid for it using customer donations.

6 Likes

Yep. I can donate by myself thanks, rather than fund a company’s write offs

7 Likes

I am unfortunately not familiar with how megayachts are made, and if their hulls are steel, fiberglass, carbon fiber, non-ferrous composite metals, etc.

That said, I’d rather see the yacht owners on trial in the Hague, charged with crimes against the planet, and their yachts turned into floating hospitals and clinics, for the benefit of all who need medical care. I guess I am so frugal and against waste that the destruction of something big and useful, having consumed so may resources in its construction, feels wrong.

We’d have to figure out a renewable energy power source conversion for these beasts, but that is what engineers are for.

4 Likes

Edit:

As of 2018 when designed, it was expected that Black Pearl could cross the Atlantic using only 20 litres (4.4 imp gal; 5.3 US gal) of fuel, aided by regenerative technologies.[8]

2 Likes

Not entirely renewable, but as an interim solution:

The billionaires would be given excellent medical care as long as they were fit enough to man an oar. After that they could retire to the yachts fitted out as prison hulks, and earn their gruel by picking oakum and other useful work.

3 Likes

You’ll never get a lick of oakum-pickin’ work outta billionaires. And they’d suck as oarsmen. Oarspeople. Etc.

Still, a wholesale grab of the entire vertically integrated abettor and enabler network could go a long way to staffing up a trireme or two.

I have no illusions that the klept will use any means at its disposal to stay in power.

7 Likes

4 Likes

0SbwZDQ

7 Likes

Limpet mines don’t necessarily need a ferrous hull. They can also be attached with bolts or other means.

Sunken ships make great artificial reefs.

I understand the urge to reuse them for more humane use cases but these things need to be wiped off the face of the earth. If you don’t see them regularly, like I do (from the outside), you might not be fully aware how obscene they have become. There is no other word for it.

Luckily they come with support ships these days and those can be repurposed for all I care. They’d make great SAR or research vessels

(Yes, this fleet is all for one single person to get around. Yacht, yacht support vessel and tender)

(Expedition style yacht support vessel with submersible)

Just to hammer home my point that these things must die, here’s a few more images of yacht support vessels:

They call these things carried on the support vessels (jetskis, buggys, submersibles, airplanes, etc.) toys. Completely without self-awareness.

Really reducing your climate impact there with your sailing yacht followed by a 150 foot diesel-engined toy carrier.

1 Like

Ye gods, it’s worse than I thought!
Drydock the obscene lot of them.
Preferably off the coast of a country most affected by the actions of its owner, who must pay for its conversion to a teaching hospital, pay its staff, materials, power, water, etc.

I have sometimes wondered what it must be like to live on coast, with access to the ocean. Now I know it’s less perfect than I imagined. Thanks for educating me.

ETA: grammar

5 Likes

… OMG I could read that

( still should have taken spanish instead )

4 Likes

The yacht is owned by the family of Russian billionaire Oleg Burlakov, who died in 2021.

Fell out of a window in the sail, did he?
Hmm.

3 Likes
2 Likes