Billionaire chronicles

And that’s why most of our billionaires live abroad.

Which isn’t an argument against taxing billionaires (as I often see it in the newspapers here in Norway) but for more harmonised global taxation

5 Likes

well if that’s all it takes, the us should definitely sign up

if they’re not paying significant taxes, they’re not really contributing anything anyway. might as well show them the door. the less entitled jerks the better

oh, okay. that’s good too

6 Likes

I mean, you’d still hear just as much from them. It’s purely a legal move. They still insert themselves into national debates, usually with “This is why I moved to Switzerland!!!11!!!1!!”

And the US is almost unique in that it still extracts tax from citizens living abroad, anyway. So there is less incentive to use that sham maneuver.

8 Likes
6 Likes

Thanks, Guardian!/s

Mike Yard K GIF by The Nightly Show

4 Likes

Procter & Gamble and Kimberly-Clark control 70% of the domestic market. Diaper prices have increased by more than 30% since 2019 from, on average, $16.50 to nearly $22.

glad that idea about monopolies being fine – so long as they didn’t affect consumer prices – is working out so well.

P&G executives said in their July earnings call they expect $800m in windfall profits because of declining input costs, suggesting they won’t bring down prices.

2 Likes

Bezos Promised $100 Million After Maui Wildfire But No One Knows Where It’s Going

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/bezos-promised-100-million-after-maui-wildfire-but-no-one-knows-where-it-s-going/ar-AA1nbRm8

1 Like

… reciting with drooling, gibbering, Baron-Vladimir-Harkonnen-like glee that :tangerine: :clown_face: orchestrated one of the biggest wealth transfers in U.S. history, if not regular ol’ history in general:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-10-30/u-s-billionaires-got-1-trillion-richer-in-trump-s-first-term

Wealth

U.S. Billionaires Got $1 Trillion Richer During Trump’s Term

• The country’s top 50 billionaires collected 80% of that gain
  • Some of the President’s biggest critics gained the most

By Ben Steverman

October 30, 2020 at 6:00 AM CDT

[ https://archive.ph/Anm8Z ]

Lest we forget.

Honestly I am fairly sure most of us on this thread have not forgotten.

5 Likes

It’s not just TFG, though. I mean, sure, he was indeed dribbingly, gleefully happy to do it, but he was just the US face of the global push. It wasn’t just in the US that this happened, it was pretty much everywhere.

3 Likes

Take your pick:

• tax offset & positive PR
  • future site for yet another AWS bit barn
  • (subsidised) space port as a public front with not-so-public doomsday bunker
  • some sort of vanity project that has no public value or environmental merit whatsoever, but pisses off Mark Zuckerberg (which at least would be mildly amusing)
  • combination of all of this
5 Likes

Maui needs a 15 foot concrete wall around his estate connecting with a sea wall shutting down public beach access. As a firebreak.

5 Likes
1 Like

9 Likes

9 Likes

I can think of something else to do to the rich. But taxation is a good start, I suppose.

3 Likes

NIH 2024budget: $51B
NSF 2024 budget: $10B
NEoA 2024 budget: $220M

The US has some fucked up priorities when we spend so little on science, the arts, and medicine while billionaires accrue massive fortunes paying little to no taxes.

4 Likes

If you’re thinking of eating the rich, I’d recommend not doing that. Prion diseases are a thing, and besides, you have no idea what they’ve been putting into their bodies in their efforts to live forever/take all of the drugs/both.

Compost the rich instead. The environment will thank you.

12 Likes

NEH: about two wooden nickles and some pocket lint. Probably :sob:

4 Likes

It has been a while since I looked it up, but the armed forces bands usually have a higher budget than the National Endowment for the Arts.

1 Like

They’re not good eating. But if you’re hungry enough…

2 Likes