Billionaire defends windowless student dorm rooms: artificial light "actually better than real windows"

christ what an asshole

3 Likes

He should try living in a room with simulated oxygen.

7 Likes

That’s a terrible argument. Even if you ignore all the non-war-related things that need to be funded, how is it better to make poor people pay for that stuff than rich people?

13 Likes

I hear simulated oxygen is more romantic than the real thing

5 Likes

Reminds me of Steven Wright as the pilot in So I married an Axe Murderer describing the gauges in the small plane…
“This is the artificial horizon. Some people prefer it to the actual horizon.”

5 Likes

Excellent question; this is the 3rd post about this asshole in the last week.

It is known:

This is a terrible idea, which is sponsored by an out of touch billionaire, and if the powers that be had any sanity or compassion, ‘the dorm from hell’ would never be approved for construction.

8 Likes

My four year old decided to draw a house for her soft toys.
The upstairs in all bedrooms, the downstairs is living space and kitchens (we cook a lot).

I think I know which design I prefer.

3 Likes

On the plus side public outrage is currently forcing the college to justify (and with any luck reverse) its decision-making process here, so drawing attention to the issue may ultimately result in a less horrific building.

5 Likes

Yeah, that seemed a weak argument. Some people pay significant sums to get flogged and be verbally abused, but that in no means justifies inflicting it on others.

2 Likes

As the government is more than aware when it suits them (notably the GQP when it comes to the military), the ability of governments to spend money on stuff is independent of the ability to tax people.

3 Likes

the whole “20K interior stateroom” thing is a totally made up number. They are NOT that expensive.

what the fork @beschizza

2 Likes

It’s clear he wants to prepare us for “arcology” type giant buildings that are preparing us for space immigration.

1 Like

But the UC regents don’t want to piss off a potential big donor, so they’ll get down on their knees and open wide all day long.

Student welfare really is secondary to the $$$.

(he says, having spent 8 years at UC schools)

4 Likes

You Are Right Taika Waititi GIF by IMDb

3 Likes

charlie-munger

1 Like

Brought to you by the people who paid $200k to try to have this picture scrubbed from the interwebs:

Sadly, my alma mater…

7 Likes

Imagine living in that dorm but it’s underground and you can’t go outside ever. Great, now you’re ready for the next stage of climate change.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.