97-year-old billionaire and amateur-architect designs a nearly windowless mega-dormitory for 4500 students

Originally published at: 97-year-old billionaire and amateur-architect designs a nearly windowless mega-dormitory for 4500 students | Boing Boing

8 Likes

… and that’s why allowing the super rich to skip taxes by making donations to their own personal foundation or cause is a bad idea.

Not saying that everything built from tax money by some official procedure turns out stellar. But this is clearly far worse on every level (pun intended).

62 Likes

I’ve lived with two windowless offices and one windowless bedroom.

Can confirm - It’s not good.

44 Likes

Even the name “Munger Hall” sounds like some kind of decrepit dungeon-like locale ruled by a Dark Wizard.

36 Likes

Does it have explosives so that he can blow it up if they change his design?

18 Likes

Doesn’t the Universal Building Code require a window for each bedroom?

43 Likes

I feel like I could make an excellent mediocre horror movie out of this. Like the original Shirley Jackson Hill house where the walls just didn’t line up at quite 90 degrees and such. He’s got an evil plot to make the students slowly go insane for -insert reasons- and there’s -insert something sinister- in the basement. C’mon Blumhouse, make it happen!

22 Likes

They should have gotten the guy from Spinal Tap to serve as the builder and then the banana slugs could have a dorm of their own.

EDIT: got my campuses mixed up, thanks allenk!

7 Likes

Will the 8 seperate houses be forced to compete in an annual games competition with the losing house being sacrificed to strengthen the student body or some such?

33 Likes

Eight students and one toilet? Gonna be a lot of banging on doors in the morning.

24 Likes

“97-year-old billionaire-investor turned AMATEUR-architect”

Really should be rendered as above. Although there are some professional architects who from their own designs seem to hate other humans as much as Munger does.

21 Likes

Imagine being one of the two poor suckers whose rooms open directly into the kitchen.

17 Likes

From the Uniform Building Code

• Egress – Egress are emergency exits. Unless the bedroom has a door that connects to the outdoors, at least one of the windows should be at least 24 inches tall by 20 inches wide. The window opening should be at least 5.7 square feet. The window can’t be installed more than 44 inches above the floor, but not lower than 24 inches to prevent children from climbing onto it.
  • Lighting and Ventilation – The windows must have a total combined glass area of at least 8% of the floor area, and the combined opened window area should be at least 4%. This means your windows should open at least halfway.

This sounds like it violates the UBC in at least 2 areas.

41 Likes

I went to UCSB, and the on-campus dorms are already horrible tiny dumps. Anyone who can gets housing in the neighboring town of Isla Vista, which is apparently the most densely populated square mile west of the Mississippi.

I grant you, it’s been 30 years since I was there, but is enrollment really up so much they need THAT thing? Has Del Playa Street finally fallen into the ocean?

12 Likes
10 Likes

It will fail as a dorm and be given to grad students as office space.

18 Likes

“I will donate $200 million to your school, on the condition that you subject some of your students to inhumane conditions.”

Works for me.

22 Likes

Ah, Harry Potter…

1 Like

So one big fire could kill 94% of 4500 students none of whom has access to egress. That seems like a really bad bet all in all.

29 Likes

I can imagine that conversation…

“Grad students won’t find this location depressing at all because, statistically speaking, they are already depressed!”

21 Likes