97-year-old billionaire and amateur-architect designs a nearly windowless mega-dormitory for 4500 students

That’s a prison, not a living quarters.

25 Likes

Pretty sure. I once got a steal on a two bedroom apartment that was listed as a one bedroom because the other bedroom didn’t have windows. I used this extra room as a music studio, and even playing music in this closed space with no natural light depressed the hell out of me.

This was my grad student experience. Get up before sunrise, go to the lab, toil away in windowless basement lab space*, go back home after sunset. I looked like a vampire when I was done with that shit.

*which i think had to be windowless because it was a clean room

17 Likes

Yes. They’ll call it the Munger Games.

60 Likes

Really should be rendered without the unnecessary hyphen. Tch! Headline-writing subs these days, eh?

But with no windows, there’s more room for rendering on the outside of those walls, so there’s that. :wink:

3 Likes

This comment is going to be the most popular one on the whole thread!

7 Likes

The grad students I knew were English majors, and they still worked in caves. Most were OK with it because the undergrads couldn’t find them.

6 Likes

Based on my experience, those rooms are far too spacious and private for grad student offices. Now if we can fit four desks in each of those dorms, make sure the bathroom is out of order, and build a jet engine made of broken glass in the shared spaces between rooms we might be on to something!

15 Likes

$200 million isn’t even enough to build that building. I’m serious - over 1 million square feet, in California no less… probably close to 400-500 million cost by the time it’s done.

11 Likes

To me, it sounds like a place that chews you up and spits you out.

Muncher hall.

5 Likes

Washington state certainly does. I can’t imagine Cali could be any more relaxed on building code than here.

94% of rooms not having windows makes this building 94% illegal to occupy.

Someone tell this worthless pathetic billionaire to choke on his money and die already.

17 Likes

Hmm. Someone could make some money selling SAD lighting to students.

7 Likes

TFA says it’s a $1.5 billion project. So it’s not like he’s even covering much of the cost.

13 Likes

The liability of some death trap building housing 4500 students would far exceed the donation from Munger. The school should reject it outright before it’s too late. Egress rules are there for a reason as they were written in blood:

15 Likes

I think this guy takes the Triangle Shirtwaist factory massacre as an inspiration for human management.

21 Likes

Came here to say the same thing. 8 strangers sharing one toilet - what could go wrong?

11 Likes

I think you’re mixing up UCSB and UCSC. Go Slugs!

I was told decades ago about a dorm in Edinburgh designed by a guy who’d previously designed prisons. In particular the hallways did not permit people walking two abreast. Move-in day sounded like a real challenge.

7 Likes

Oops, my bad!

3 Likes

“What is this? A dorm for ants?” (Spinal Tap meets Zoolander, and I think that is a movie that needs to be made)

13 Likes

Came to comment this very thing. Like something Rowling would have made up.

[deep groaning noise]

Young Protagonist: Wait, what’s that sound!?

Friendly but Decrepit Monster: 's the Building. It m[h]ungers!

But the concept brings to mind Simcity 2000:

Darco arcology

…Inside, the ill-lit corridor’s twist into odd, meandering corkscrews that mysteriously turn back on themselves. There are rumors that a strange sub-species of man inhabits the air ducts.

11 Likes

Pretty sure they are stringing him along…until he dies. Then they will not name it Munger Hall.

2 Likes