97-year-old billionaire and amateur-architect designs a nearly windowless mega-dormitory for 4500 students

In places with humane standards for prisons, it’s a … warehouse or something. Self storage units maybe. Not even a prison.

9 Likes

Ah, so it’s ok for architects to design human hostile pieces of “art” in homage to themselves, but it’s not ok for “normal people” like Charlie Munger.

Got it.

3 Likes

15 Likes

Captain Obvious says:

15 Likes

Yikes. I was assuming maybe they build it for 100 million, it sits with 5% occupancy for a couple years, they tear it down and come out ahead.

Maybe they are hoping to get more out of him when he dies if they subsidize his vanity dungeon now?

4 Likes

i can’t like this comment enough. this stuff just writes itself.

8 Likes

especially given that this is a UC, meaning state university, No? Why again is a public institution having to kowtow for private infrastructure cash? (yes I know why…)

6 Likes

When people hire an architect it’s usually because they like the aesthetic sensibility of said architect (even if the buildings themselves turn out to be poorly designed in practice). You don’t hire Frank Gehry because he bribes you to do it, you hire Frank Gehry because you want the prestige of a Frank Gehry building.

This is not that. Nor is Munger a “normal person” in any meaningful sense of the word. This is an ultra-rich guy with no sense of usability OR aesthetics using his wealth to force a poorly designed building on people who don’t particularly want it.

23 Likes

That’s exactly what should be obvious to anyone with eyes. There’s two - TWO ! - entrances/exits for I don’t know how many hundreds of residents. Just that should be enough to reject this piece of insanity forever.

Nopenope

12 Likes

How dare you judge a man for what he says and does!

/s

7 Likes

I’d also like to point out that this building has two entrances.

When I mentioned this on Twitter, I referred to them as the only exits and someone jumped in suggesting that the external stair wells ought to have exit doors at the bottom. But I’m sure not seeing any doorways at the base of that Borg cube in the rendering where those stairwells would terminate…

15 Likes

bored pink floyd GIF by hoppip

10 Likes

FIFY

6 Likes

I lived in a house with 4 students and one toilet and even at that ratio, you couldn’t take bathroom access for granted. It was the first (and so far, only) time in my life where I had to have a bathroom strategy.

12 Likes

One apartment building in IV did partly collapse a few years back.

4 Likes

Democracy exists to protect us from the whims of the wealthy, so I’d say this situation is both a failure of both our economic system and democracy…

12 Likes

That’s not ok either. But when they happens it’s also the fault of the person who hired them. Professional architects work for clients who pay the bills and set the priorities.

Even then I have seen human hostile architecture before but I have rarely seen a public building designed with such blatant disregard for basic safety and health.

5 Likes

See the sixth entry, Mr. Wiggin: https://www.theguardian.com/culture/gallery/2012/sep/29/ten-best-fictional-architects-pictures
“… a housing tower block with rotating knives in the foyer and chutes for draining blood.”

15 Likes

I had a similar situation as a post-doc and it ended up being easier to take showers at the gym and keep most of my groceries at work. Crap wages + competition + stupid hours lead to strange habits.

7 Likes

Can confirm, for Illinois, Indiana, and New York. If not a window, than a second door that leads directly outside.

I find it hard to believe that California would be more lax in their building code than Indiana, for heavens’ sake.

13 Likes