Billionaire defends windowless student dorm rooms: artificial light "actually better than real windows"

Originally published at: Billionaire defends windowless student dorm rooms: artificial light "actually better than real windows" | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Reminds me of:

23 Likes

OK, so this isn’t the nightmare:
Fig 1-1. A single, Munger-designed Suite, consisting of 8 rooms.

This is the nightmare:

Fig 1-2. The Munger-designed House, consisting of 8 Munger Suites: 64 rooms.

Wait-- no, this is the nightmare.   This is the actual floorplan:

Fig 1-3. The Munger-designed Floor, consisting of 8 Houses: 512 rooms/floor.

Honestly, I don’t think the problem is that Munger fashions himself a designer/architect, it’s that Munger has watched too many Die Hard movies…

15 Likes

Because why use free sunlight when you can use electricity?

20 Likes

At least Ted Kaczynski and FLDS leader Warren Jeffs get windows…

9 Likes

The campus is literally on the fucking beach you chud.

13 Likes

As if he hasn’t spreed enough misery, this ahole wants to continue after he takes the dirt nap, jerk.

10 Likes

Great wave function collapse content here

12 Likes

And I think 2 extra feet in length of the room. And a private toilet/sink.

15 Likes

“No, I won’t do it. I’m ready to die very shortly,” He said.

Truly a fan of windowless boxes.

11 Likes

I generally think the rally for making the wealthy pay more taxes is misguided, because the US government will continue to spend it on killing brown people and causing other forms of horror, but in this case, where the wealthy person is using the cash to cause cruelty under the guise of “philanthropy…” Oof.

There is a long history of dormitories being sites of social engineering. Some earlier US dormitories were explicitly designed to enforce racial or class segregation; others, motivated by a progressive ethos, were designed to erase them.

The US behavioral researcher John B Calhoun spent decades studying how populations of rats and mice react to constrained environments. For his most famous experiment, he created a 101-square-inch enclosure, with abundant food and water but finite space, and introduced four breeding pairs of mice.

In less than a year, the colony had reached a population of more than 600. As the cage became overpopulated, his mouse utopia began to resemble something closer to a dystopia. The mice became listless, stopped breeding and engaged in cannibalism. Some, which Calhoun named “the beautiful ones”, ceased to interact with other mice and instead spent all their time sleeping or obsessively grooming. When the population reached 2,200, it slid into extinction.

This sure looks like an experiment to drive introverts crazy.

11 Likes

I did once stay in a hotel room with no windows, but I chose to do that because it was in Glasgow in the winter so any time I would be in the room it was going to be dark outside anyway, and the windowless rooms were much cheaper.

Spending a whole year in a room like that in California is another thing entirely.

7 Likes

How well will lighting and ventilation function during California’s famous rolling blackouts? Last earthquake there was six days ago, how earthquake proof is it? If the power goes out or you’re experiencing an earthquake, escaping through a pretend window is not a viable option.

13 Likes

Why are we still giving this asshole our oxygen?

8 Likes

Or inventive.

10 Likes

Re-reboing-boing

@beschizza I’m looking forward to reading some more about this in the next regular update in another 2 days’ time. :wink:

8 Likes

I have never been on a cruise and never been that interested, but $20,000 to stay in a tiny room with pretend windows does NOT sell me on the idea. I will live my life cruiseless.

9 Likes

I would love to see a series of architects, sociologists, psychologists, et al, interviewed and basically saying versions of, “You can tell this asshole is an amateur because he clearly doesn’t have the first clue about what the fuck he’s doing. BILLIONAIRES ARE NOT AUTOMAGICALLY GOOD AT ANYTHING THEY WANT TO BE, and the public should pity them as the mentally-damaged, empathy-deficient, resource-hoarding sociopathic monsters they invariably are.”

6 Likes

I can’t be arsed to bother to look at the plan myself, but is the electricity solar-generated? That’s be just a perfect chef’s kiss.

1 Like