Billionaire Hedge fund manager Leon Cooperman is furious that poor people have received tiny checks to keep their kids from starving

LOL came here to suggest just this heheh

7 Likes

“The reason the market is doing what it’s doing is people are sitting at home getting checks from the government”

9 Likes

It always makes things easier when the greedpigs buy their tumbril tickets in advance.

8 Likes

He is no match for my advanced facial recognition software.

19 Likes

“At this festive season of the year, Mr. Scrooge,” said the gentleman, taking up a pen, “it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir.”

“Are there no prisons?” asked Scrooge.

“Plenty of prisons,” said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

“And the Union workhouses?” demanded Scrooge. “Are they still in operation?”

“They are. Still,” returned the gentleman, “I wish I could say they were not.”

“The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?” said Scrooge.

“Both very busy, sir.”

“Oh! I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course,” said Scrooge. “I’m very glad to hear it.”

“Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude,” returned the gentleman, “a few of us are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink, and means of warmth. We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices. What shall I put you down for?”

“Nothing!” Scrooge replied.

“You wish to be anonymous?”

“I wish to be left alone,” said Scrooge. “Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don’t make merry myself at Christmas and I can’t afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned–they cost enough; and those who are badly off must go there.”

“Many can’t go there; and many would rather die.”

“If they would rather die,” said Scrooge, “they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.”

— Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol

34 Likes

Seriously. This is the kind of thing that has people with net worths of $50-million+ reaching for the pitchforks (or at least a lockable ball gag).

15 Likes

Oh, that’s nothing. Here’s another clip—later in the day, I believe—where he’s literally crying…

Let me repeat that…

He’s LITERALLY CRYING over the thought of increased wealth taxes.

33 Likes

i dont know the exact math but 3 billion over the average 110,000 work hours preformed by an american in their life is about 27,000 an hour, so maybe 7 or 8 dollars a second. minimum wage is what 7.25, so coincidentally 28,000 times the minimum wage… regardless what he actually accomplishes in his day.

and im sure he’s earned every penny /s

15 Likes

Good news, sir! If being stupidly wealthy ever becomes a terrible burden you can just give that excess money away and all your problems will be solved!

20 Likes

I remember this exchange from the Muppet Christmas Carol.

Scrooge will always be Michael Caine in my head.

21 Likes

“… the market …”

And his comment was made in this interview.

3 Likes

Oh I hope. But, they’ll be stopped by the SEC prolly, or some other agency, but would be nice.

These a-holes have profited for no reason other than that since Greenspan took over the FED, the Federal reserve has been pumping cheap money and deregulation for the FIRE sector regardless of their own vaunted oligarchic “free market” declamations. (free markets would destroy these people)

It’s a massive, MASSIVE subsidy that draws real value and money out of the actual main street economy.

This prick wouldn’t have a business plan save for the fact that every time the financial sector has experienced pain (well deserved) since 1987, the Federal Reserve lowers their cost of money and insists that market regulation should be given to solely to the same Federal Reserve, which means, de facto, that connected players have no regulation.

12 Likes

he blamed a thing he doesn’t like on “people sitting at home getting checks”

12 Likes

“Attacking wealthy people”?

Sounds like a tell-- he knows deep down it’s wrong that he has a billion dollars made through a combination of usury and gambling, while the the majority are barely scraping by doing actual labor.

18 Likes

Something something Guillotines!

I guess the game though, is how close you can dance to the razor’s edge before it cuts you. Let’s get progressively more greedy and outrageous until the pot finally boils over. Then, all these assholes will be like “who could possibly have seen that coming?!?”

8 Likes

Seriously, if we took 90% of the billionaires’ money away, we could use it to make america practically a utopia.

And they’d still be billionaires.

30 Likes

I dunno. Like many commenters here pointed out, he has far more money that he’ll ever reasonably or even unreasonably need, and yet here he is, whining up a storm.
It’s clear at this point that we don’t need economists or accountants for these people, we need psychologists. Good ones, the kind who specialize in alienation, because this is not normal.
Think about it, he’s worth three billions, that is three thousand millions. Visualize that, visualize what you have, and then realize this fella is afraid of ending up short. Not normal.

15 Likes

Way to go there, chopping the sentence in half in order to change the meaning of what I was saying.

2 Likes

The Giving Pledge is a great PR stunt. At best, it seems like many/most of them are waiting until they die to give it away. Giving it away is great, but waiting until you die is like spending decades watching people starve and then offering them food only after you’re too full. Money makes more money at large scales, so it’s just making more money for them until they give it away.

18 Likes

Nah. We need tar, feathers, torches, pitchforks, and a nice, angry mob. It’s not as if the wealthy have ever truly listened to anything else.

9 Likes