Billionaire Hedge fund manager Leon Cooperman is furious that poor people have received tiny checks to keep their kids from starving

He’s the money behind American Media Inc, owner of the National Enquirer, and the Postmedia chain in Canada.

11 Likes

Wait, let’s give this cooperman guy the benefit of the doubt.

If the government was just paying people equivalent to their full normal wages to just sit at home for a year then I could see it as a problem for the economy. (Maybe)

However, if you’ve been on unemployment you know it’s nowhere near your full wages. If you haven’t been on unemployment then you’ve gotten a measly $1200 loan on your future tax refunds.

So, yeah, pooperman’s full of shit.

10 Likes

I did not know that. I went looking for a National Enquirer style headline about him and found this instead:

What an asshole.

13 Likes

I didn’t either until I looked at his Wikipedia entry(and refs), and saw that he was the missing piece to that puzzle.

6 Likes

OK, I get that these cruel and destructive parasites are technically human so we can’t pluck them off of our society like the leeches they are and drop them into a pail of gasoline. Does the 2nd Amendment guarantee the right to guillotines? Hmmm. But what I’m wondering is if we can’t kill them can we at least MAIM them? Dig some ginormous antique auto from the 60’s or 70s out of a junk yard, weld a steel girder to the front, and just smash them off the road? Of course that’s probably needlessly cruel to the limo driver, but sacrifices must be made if sacrifices are going to be made.

4 Likes

Yea, I don’t get where this kind of sociopathy comes from. I see this fuck bitching about wealthy people being attacked and then I think about this nice lady that lives in my neighborhood.
For the last several holiday seasons, she’s taken her time to help raise funds to buy groceries and delivery them herself to people in need in our zip code. All kinds of families and struggling folks.
She literally drives around in her pickup truck doling out 50 bucks worth of food to whomever comes to her in need and asks for donations from neighbors to help her out with the endeavor.
Fuck this guy.

14 Likes

Patience, man. The limos will all be automated in a couple of years. Give it time.

2 Likes

I’d settle for just picking at them a little and throwing the rest in the trash.

3 Likes

Well, there is an argument that says that the morally most effective thing to do in terms of charitable giving is to give it away when you’re dead.

I suspect though that it is rather more applicable to people with rather less than a billion.

If I recall it correctly it’s based on the same ‘money is more effective in large amounts’ point you made.

So, giving $5/ month to some charity after a chugger accosts you in the street is less effective than leaving them your assets in one chunk when you die.

Whether that still holds up when it’s a case of handing over say 2.8billion now and keeping 0.2 billion to live off and leaving the rest to charity when you die, who knows?

2 Likes

Leon Cooperman:

• Admitted to insider trading (settled, which is admittance according to these same farts), thus proving he’s incapable of making money without cheating
  • Owns part of American Media, home of the National Enquirer rag
  • Has been bailed out more times than a leaky rowboat
  • Sits on his ass all day at home taking government checks
  • Is a true “old man yelling at clouds.”

He’s a rich, greedy asshole. His comments about people “sitting at home getting checks” is so unpopular that CNBC has excised them from the video on their site and the transcripts. But shit sticks, folks. And this will stick hard. This little GME situation is one of the few things the majority of Americans can agree on, and even the usual GOP lick spittles are having a coronary about being told that wealth is only for the wealthy, not for the clever regular folks who figure out how to play the system.

In short: fuck this nasty, grifting, lying sack of weasel spit right off the planet.

19 Likes

Wait, what? That’s a thing? What’s the point of bankruptcy then?

Man, am I glad my education was free(ish)*

* -ish because for part of my studies I had to pay 500€ per semester but that was so unpopular that lawmakers quickly reverted the move towards tuition fees

6 Likes

But that sounds like the fortunes of these wealth-creators, these self-made men, are somehow dependent on the actions of ordinary working people.

That can’t be right, can it?

9 Likes
8 Likes

White man tears are a strange and dark magic.

6 Likes

8 Likes

It is deeper than that, “Satan, what an asshole!”

An airhorn would probably be as cathartic and more effective (don’t forget to wear some ear protection). But I guess that screaming works too.

3 Likes

Fuck you, leon cooperman. Reach complete enlightenment, you evil bastard.

4 Likes

The existence of billionaires is immoral when there is this much suffering. It is theft perpetrated by the system. I have no beef with millionaires (as a concept. Some of them individually are quite loathsome.) But when you get this much money, something horrible has happened to people who didn’t deserve it to make you this rich.

12 Likes

Bankruptcy was made a lot harder with the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act in 2005. This made bankruptcy rarer and expensive for ordinary people by adding stricter limits and expanding creditor power.

Student loans (including for for-profit colleges) became non-dischargeable except for “undue hardships”. In some good news, some judges are pushing back on the initial interpretations of this undue hardship standard.

To be fair to Biden, this was a bipartisan effort and passed the senate 74-25. To be honest though, Clinton vetoed the bill in 2000 at the behest of then Harvard professor Elizabeth Warren.

Here’s the background Link from Wikipedia, but fair warning it is dispiriting reading.

6 Likes

Can we break out the guillotines already?

5 Likes