Billionaire James Dyson loses libel claim in UK

I had a Dyson and the plastic was incredibly brittle. One of which was the catch that secured the lid of the dust collecting bin. Eventually it just snapped by being pressed. Dyson didn’t offer it as a replacement part, so a perfectly good vacuum cleaner went in the recycling purely for the want of 1p worth of purple plastic.

3 Likes

We tried to keep going with ours as it slowly got more and more broken. The bristles on the roller stripped themselves bald, the slot on the plug which enabled you to take out the roller and clean it got more and more stripped, and then the hinge on the dust container just broke. Then something else cracked. Then something else broke.

And even when it was new and pristine, it just wasn’t as good as was advertised. I mean, it was good, but it wasn’t that good.

In my experience, it’s not worth the price premium.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t give a brand new bagless to a thrift store.
Then it would just become someone elses problem.

I feel your pain.

Many years ago when I was looking for a vacuum, I went into the John Lewis near me and got help from one of the staff. I was looking at Dysons and asked her opinion - ‘I wouldn’t do that dear - we’re always getting them in for repair after a few months.’ She persuaded me to buy a (cheaper) Miele and it worked for more than a decade.

I wish I’d remembered her words when I was shopping for a stick vacuum - but the Dyson advertising got to me.

4 Likes

Maybe try this vacuum cleaner store in Champaign IL

That’s not a phrase that you come across very often. Miele have a reputation as being good, but you’ll pay for it.

6 Likes

Our Miele is a good 15 years old and was significantly cheaper than a Dyson.

I have had to replace the head but it’s big standard so I just walked into a local shop.

5 Likes

henry GIF

11 Likes

Britain’s two distinctive vacuum cleaner brands always feel like some kind of heavy-handed parable.

You have Dyson, with 6,000 different models, all identically designed for the ice-chewing 1980s stockbroker who likes to masturbate over turbomachinery and wants the maid to look futuristic while she vacuums coke residue off the chrome-and-onyx safe where he’s locked her passport. If they cost five times as much and break in 6 months, just buy a new one, I mean what are you, a poor?

And then you have Numatic, with like three inexpensive models that last forever and work pretty well (and are actually made in the UK). The design is basic af, and they all have smiley faces because apparently the guy thought people cleaning offices at night might feel lonely. No one throws out a Henry because (a) you can just fix it and (b) it would be murder.

11 Likes

I worked retail and during that time we used to get Dysons returned all the time as well

3 Likes

For those not in the know

8 Likes

Who knows, but they don’t have a reputation for brittleness in the UK. I don’t care though, because I have a Henry :slight_smile:

(The guy behind Henry also backed Brexit, but unlike Dyson, he’s not an insufferable git)

2 Likes

I have had many Dyson products through the years. They are often over engineered and overpriced but they have ended up lasting me a really long time. I’m still using the cordless vacuum I bought over 15 years ago on a daily basis. All I really had to do was dismantle it and do a deep cleaning a few years back to get it back to 100%.

One product that has been a frustration is the humidifier/HEPA filter. It’s just delicate AF. If the slightest bit of moisture gets into the electronics (like say you fill it up with water and there’s a couple errant drops on the lid) it fries the control board. I’ve had it replaced 3 times already under warranty after something shorted out internally. It doesn’t matter how careful I am; something always ends up frying after like 8 or 9 months. At least the Dyson repair shop in my area is just a couple miles away although they never repair it, they just send me a brand new one.

You’d think that something that’s designed to be around water would have some better protections in place so it doesn’t burn out.

If you want a professional vacuum cleaner, and by that I mean a cleaner that will run all day, every day, for years: Sebo.

And I say this practically living next door to Kobold central.

1 Like

3 Likes

Most of the problem Mr Dyson had with the EU was the directive to regulate efficiency on household appliances and the limits on the electric power in vacuum cleaners to 900 watts

That is all

He didn’t have any problems reciving EU funds for his farms in the UK though

8 Likes

Numatic have “stick” vacs now too.
With murder-proof faces.

3 Likes

Selfish little people, with small little concerns are Conservatives.

2 Likes

I only knew Henry. I didn’t know he had a whole family

1 Like

I was at the launch of the DC04 at the Design Museum in London back in 1999 or 2000, when he did a Cybertruck.
James Dyson wanted to demonstrate the machine’s power by getting it to suck up pound coins (£1 coins, not coins weighing one lb). In went the first coin and clunk, whirr, whine and motor death. Schadenfreude was had.

3 Likes