Dyson headphones include air-cleaning vacuum mask

Originally published at: Dyson headphones include air-cleaning vacuum mask | Boing Boing

6 Likes

From the Popsci article:

PUBLISHED MAR 30, 2022 1:00 AM

… Oh.

4 Likes
13 Likes

Sigh. I hate today, the day the internet is broken. As if we don’t have enough deception in the world already.

7 Likes

Came here to post Naomi Wu’s takedown. My favorite bit:

“Dyson plans to add a FFP2 Mask”
I’m selling a poo-flinging machine and one day I’ll sell a tarp to catch the poo.

6 Likes

I don’t think this is an April Fool’s joke

ETA …but I wish it were

6 Likes

Indeed. FIrst thing I checked:

1 Like

Will it have a Darth Vader voice synthesizer?

For the breathing noises in office spaces.

3 Likes

I think you’re right. Naomi Wu has been posting about how garbage this thing is for about a week now, give or take.

5 Likes

One size fits all.

1 Like

Dyson is such an embarrassment. The opportunity cost of all of those engineers tied up making bullshit like this (or otherwise making minor tweaks to mid-20th century consumer goods) must be significant.

4 Likes

Came to put the same link. The Dyson Snot Cannon is not safe for anyone.

2 Likes

“snot cannon” certainly wins a quick update from me

8 Likes

Hardly a surprise, their expensive fans perform really poorly too.

Think how bad his electric cars (the size of tanks) must have been to not make it out of the gate?

2 Likes

“phlegm flinger”?

“catarrh chucker”?

“spittle spreader”?

(but, yeah, snot cannon is the winner)

1 Like

Well, it is April 1st, therefore everything is suspect until at least April 2. Maybe they hit “publish” two days early.

I would like to point that Naomi Wu also dissed the Razer mask, and is responsible for igniting the backslash that made Razer retract their safety ratings.

7 Likes

For all of Naomi Wu’s excellent points about the Razer using the wrong kind of fans and the filter media seating less than perfectly that has been tested only to BFE standards (a “bacterial” standard that uses a bigger particle than VFE or PFE), at least it is a mask with tested filtration media that filters air going in and out through filter media, providing source control.

Razer’s mask was badly marketed and not as good as it could or should have been, but it is not the totally sociopathic pathogenic aerosol generator that the Dyson is.

(It is still shameful that The Verge went out of its way to avoid giving Naomi Wu credit for being the one to identify the faults in the Razer mask that they blithely had praised in their best press release transcriptional style. They gave credit to another website, that was reporting on Naomi Wu’s activism. The Verge’s actions have been appalling and sexist, anti-LGBT.)

2 Likes

Dyson stole my idea!
Mask - Copy2

5 Likes

I haven’t paid much attention to all their other stuff, but I will say that my Dyson is the best vacuum I’ve ever owned and as a pet owner, that’s a real quality-of-life issue.

1 Like