Billionaire newspaper monopolist family cancels editorial cartoonist after anti-Trump drawing

I’m writing from Turin, Italy. We had Fiat HQ, Fiat factories and still have FCA-owned newspaper “la Stampa” and of course FCA-ovned footbal teams Juventus and Juventus-female.
la Stampa was nicknamed 'la busiarda" “the liar” for a reason.
Actualli is a pretty decent newspaper, compared with some other ones owned by media corporations, especially in national and international news.
Especially in business and economic pages on the other hands is a lot interesting to see what is written and what is not, like reading the Pravda in soviet union times or Oseervatore Romano and Avvenire for the Catholic Church.

8 Likes

globally, the catholic church owns around 177 million acres (72 million hectares) of land. this is according to business insider magazine. as a comparison, the irvings own around 3.6 million acres (1.5 million hectares).

9 Likes

In other words, the Catholic Church’s global land holdings are about the size of Texas

5 Likes

that sounds about right. this includes the holdings of all the dioceses globally and the diplomatic missions of vatican city, all of which are ultimately under the control of the pope.

8 Likes

not-so-fun fact: irving is also the largest landowner in the state of maine.

6 Likes

It’s a shame that the artist was fired. This is exactly what people need to see, because it’s a pretty damned accurate representation of how ghoulish and inhumane this administration, ICE in general, and Trump himself truly and genuinely are.

Thankfully, the firing and the panel itself are getting a ton of publicity right now, so that cartoonist is likely to be gainfully employed again soon, and that image will be around to haunt these motherfuckers for ages to come.

7 Likes

I agree, Trump wouldn’t ask, he would just bellow, “PLAYING THROUGH!!”, and then drive his cart onto the green.

6 Likes

Find a people own news organization and fund it. These rich people are never going to criticize themselves.

1 Like

I suspect that the vast majority of that is actual churches, too.

5 Likes

What we need is a truly independent media. News organizations should not be allowed to be owned by anything other than individuals and news organizations. (I would permit index funds and sector funds owning them, but with the provision that any such shares can’t be voted.)

1 Like

It is easy to believe that claims of “It was all just a coincidence, really!” are elaborate fabrications.

On the other hand, this is also part of the narrative of this editorial cartoonist that people were unlikely to have heard of until now.

1 Like

Or, if the bodies were inconveniently placed relative to his game, do what he reportedly usually does when playing golf: cheat and pretend his ball went somewhere else.

1 Like

I bet they didn’t pay a single straight dollar for any of it.

2 Likes

I think the people who were offended by the cartoon were missing the point by miles.

Like, “it’s ok if she’s being beaten down (metaforically) in real life, but is off-limits to depict this injustice as a real beat down because it promotes violence”.

1 Like

The Canadian cartoonist says he’s long been told Trump is a ‘taboo’ subject for the Irving-owned chain

8 Likes

Here’s my take: it’s not a joke meant to be funny in either case. It’s the kind of biting sarcasm that draws out truth.

Bullying and intimidation is violence. I credit Wilson-Raybould for standing up in the face of it. She had the most powerful man in the country threatening her, and she didn’t back down.

Jody Wilson-Raybould is badass.

6 Likes

It’s amazing how many people suddenly cared about how First Nations people were depicted when the rash of (accurate) satirical cartoons popped up about this scandal. They must think we’re stupid or something.

6 Likes

Exactly. Trump Would Be Annoyed & Wouldn’t Ask Do You Mind, He Would Definitely Step Over Dead Immigrants To Continue His Golf Game, Which We All Know He Cheats At Anyway. He’s A Disgusting Excuse For A Human Being.

1 Like

I Certainly Hope You’re Right About That.

1 Like

Brunswick News should hire Ben Garrison. They seem like a perfect match.

Meanwhile, dumb angry people on Twitter should check Greg Perry’s portfolio, like the Groundhog Day cartoon.

6 Likes