Billionaire newspaper monopolist family cancels editorial cartoonist after anti-Trump drawing

“And the President himself is an unknown quantity who punishes those who appear to oppose him…” meaning among other things, who gets a tariff exemption and who doesn’t.

3 Likes

Oh you mean this cartoon?

15 Likes

The tragic part is that scandals like this will make idiots here vote for a party which will make shit like this even worse.
I’ll just keep voting NDP, but I know people will shy away from voting for someone who “can’t win” and will stay away or actively vote for a party whose last turn in power should have earned a 20-year political exile, and there’s a real danger The Creep will get in.

7 Likes

Exactly. I hadn’t seen it before and although it’s not difficult to find from the links in the article, it just seems weird to not show the most critical part of the cartoon.

5 Likes

Yeah.

I am very not happy with Trudeau, but Scheer is fucking terrifying.

Yet I know many people who would rather cut off any useful limbs than vote NDP. I am very worried about what the fall will bring.

13 Likes

Copyright, maybe? I’m guessing that BoingBoing hasn’t paid the artist for full use of the work, and they do respect the right of creatives to earn a living from creative work.

I was thinking also that the bottom of the cartoon might be considered to be “triggering” to people who have been traumatized…but, the original photo has been so widely published already…still, it might be insensitive to show it in this post which is more about monopolist billionaires and Trump…though everything is related, isn’t it?

4 Likes

A distinction that seems to get less clear by the day.

11 Likes

Paging St Barbara, and GoFundMe…

13 Likes
8 Likes

I only liked this because you posted the whole thing, for which I thank you.

9 Likes

Because @beschizza didn’t author the post.

11 Likes

I’m thinking it is just to hide the graphic element which may upset some people.

2 Likes

CHTST

I’d like to learn more, but what’s clear is that we have independent media, but low rates of consumption of that. “Radicals”, “hippies”, “do-gooders” etc read / absorb it.

Things move in cycles, but truth is always truth. Truth and money don’t mix well. Media barons seem so ridiculous and unlikely in movies, but it’s apparent that’s just the visible layer of behaviour (that a screenwriter can observe!), and the rest is beyond repugnant.

We need to flip the audience to want truth, and understanding. To have some common sense.

I think there’s a good way to do it, with smartphones now!

And @doctorow wtf the Catholic Church owns swathes of land?!? They should be selling that off and paying reparations to their abuse victims. Truth and money don’t mix, but money, media and religion make a toxic poison.

2 Likes

Lack of availability does not indicate lack of interest.

Whatever publications you’re referring to aren’t easily available if you don’t know about them, and if you’re not intwined in the community they serve, you’re never going to see it. You can’t read and absorb what you don’t even know about.

The free market isn’t free. It’s barely even a market.

13 Likes

I believe that sums up the whole of the problem…

13 Likes

And they’re big in the oil business.

2 Likes

In Canada they do

7 Likes

Imma read about this. They should not be significant land owners!

2 Likes

Well here in the UK we have the Independent, the Financial Times, the Guarniad, all of which are good, clear, and national.

But we also have the Sun, the Boobsrag, the Smut Daily - collectively known as the “Redtops”.

The majority of the population prefer the titillations of the latter to the information of the former. It’s like the indigenous Australians being plied with alcohol by the British colonialists. The population is drunk on whatever Wretched Richard did with Flirty Fiona on Love Island, and simply believe the patently false and silly lies that our astoundingly mendacious population of politicians broadcast with no concern for review or recrimination.

There has to be a way to get them to pay attention.

6 Likes

Who owns the big nationals? Good, clear and national ≠ unbiased. There is no such thing as unbiased. Sometimes it’s not what’s in the paper, it’s what’s not there.

In the case of the Irvings, it’s never covering anything that paints the Irvings or their businesses in a bad light. It’s not about what titillating stuff goes in, it’s what gets left out. An Irving paper will never be pro-union, because the Irvings don’t like unions. It might not be obvious, but choice of words can make a big difference in perception.

8 Likes