Billionaire Paypal co-founder Peter Thiel will be a California Trump delegate

Also this charmer.

2 Likes

Until the inevitable reality check, of course.

4 Likes

Depends what the faith is. I know and respect a lot of people who remain committed to their teenage faith in David Bowie.

2 Likes

Typical alt-right transhumanist pseudo-libertarian. While having compartmentalized and unexamined beliefs is a common tendency among authoritarians, Iā€™ve seen some truly bizarre ideologies in adjacent compartments.

My ā€˜favoriteā€™ (in terms of actually having had some extended interactions with him and getting a thorough look inside his head) was a twenty-something anarcho-capitalist over on the EP forum who managed to pack his mental compartments with:

• transhumanism (mind uploading, serial immortality, etc)
  • devout Catholicism
  • Constitutional ā€˜originalismā€™ (i.e. "I just want to live as the (mythologized) Founding Fathers intendedā€™)
  • anti-choice attitudes
  • Anarcho-capitalism (which he imagines as being essentially a meritocracy)
  • Objectivism
  • MLP fandom

And then he would get all huffy when people pointed out his (many, many) hypocrisies, double-standards and general debate lightweightness.

3 Likes

I think you forgot:

• MRA

No way he isnā€™t that, too.

Actually, surprisingly, no, although there were enough of those there. He did have a serious case of the Madonna-Whore memeplex, though, that manifested with him being exquisitely respectful to female members of the forum (even when they basically told him to knock it off), while at the same time being profoundly antichoice (once making the statement that leftists donā€™t like science, except when leftists can use it to ā€œprove that a fetus isnā€™t a human beingā€)

2 Likes

Agreed! I tried to get through to him, but his Mortonā€™s Demon was highly skilled, so, despite some early promise at getting him to engage in self-assessment, he backslid and I gave up in frustration.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.