BioShock's original creator is developing a spiritual successor

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/01/bioshock-original-creator-is-developing-a-spiritual-successor.html

2 Likes

Looks like this one is taking aim at the toxicity of celebrity and social media. I’m in!

1 Like

I really didn’t like Bioshock. Maybe I just got to it too late, but the gameplay was dull and uninspired and the story was tedious and painfully obvious. I might have enjoyed it more if my expectations hadn’t been so inflated by the rabid fans, but it would never have been a “wow, this was great” experience.

1 Like

I guess someone didn’t pick up on the symbolic destruction of every possible variation on Bioshock at the end of Infinite, huh.

3 Likes

It may suffer from too much narrative re-tread. I get it. We have a philosophical dystopia that’s isolated from everywhere else.

I get that we were fighting against the crazy racist regime, and I’m all in for that, but some of the imagery in that game was massively uncomfortable.

3 Likes

Yeah, Infinite definitely had some… missteps. And the DLCs tried to fix them and only stepped in it even deeper.

3 Likes

It’s “spiritual successors” all the way down, in the game industry. All of this is looking really familiar, but hopefully it’ll be more System Shock than Bioshock?

1 Like

I’ve been wanting to replay the series, probably because it feels like I’m living the those worlds already. Elon making a case for being the big bad in the first two, one with twitter, one with nerolink, and the populism of trump sure feels like Infinite.

Fire hands to the rescue

1 Like

I wish he would f off to a wet Galt’s Gulch.

Galt’s Trench, I guess

1 Like

I mean, “crumbling fantastical setting full of audio diaries where you fight deformed monsters with a wrench and magic hand powers” is a pretty versatile genre. Not surprised that it’s coming back.

2 Likes

“Ken Levine, who directed BioShock and BioShock Infinite (but not the second outing, which he’s very mad about)”

Did he say something recently about being mad about BioShock 2? I’ve never heard him say anything about it, and doing a search just now came back with one quote from him talking about how talented the BioShock 2 team was, as well as several reddit threads from over the years noting that he’s never really commented on it.

it’s more in the way he treats it in the games themselves. bioshock infinite and to a much greater extent burial at sea essentially retcon bioshock 2 out of existence. i think it’s not a reach to say he has some level of resentment toward it

Ok, but there’s a bit of a difference between speculating about “some level of resentment”, which he has never spoken of publicly, and outright saying “he’s very mad”, as if it’s something he’s complaining about constantly.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.