Birtherism for everyone: Kansas woman told birth certificate can't be used for passport renewal

They’re a fine record for tracking geneaology. They’re a lousy means of establishing the citizenship of Americans born after World War II (even those born in rural areas – this hasn’t been a city-vs-country issue for a long time in the U.S.).

15 Likes

“Border crossing card or green card for your parents issued prior to your birth? My parents were born in the United States….Early religious records? We don’t have any. Family Bible? They won’t accept a birth certificate but they will accept a family Bible?” Barbara said.

I don’t even understand how any of these are valid questions when the person in question is holding their actual birth certificate.

23 Likes

Accepting a family bible (which may be potentially inaccurate) over government sanctioned institutions like the local courthouse seems not just illogical but ass backwards.

31 Likes

AKA perfectly in line with the goals of movement conservatism.

23 Likes

I’ve one, it weighs 30lb. or so, is in pieces and doesn’t have my name in it.
Plus, I’m a Jew.

18 Likes

19 Likes

Citizenship Evidence

When applying on Form DS-11, you must submit primary evidence of U.S. citizenship:

• If you cannot provide primary evidence, you must submit secondary evidence of U.S. citizenship.
  • Examples of primary and secondary citizenship evidence are listed below.

Submit an original or certified copy of your citizenship evidence AND a photocopy when you apply

• A certified copy is any document that has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority.

• Submit a photocopy of the front (and back, if there is printed information) of the original or certified copy you’re providing to us.

• Photocopies must be: legible, on white 8.5”x11” standard paper, black and white, and single sided.

• If you don’t want to submit a photocopy of your citizenship evidence, you may submit a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence, which we will keep. If you don’t submit a photocopy or a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence, your passport processing could be delayed.

Primary

Born in the United States?

• Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (can be expired)
  • U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements:
    • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
    • Lists applicant’s full name, date of birth, and place of birth
    • Lists parent(s)’ full names
    • Has the signature of the city, county, or state registrar
    • Has the date filed with registrar’s office (must be within one year of birth)
    • Has the seal of issuing authority

Born outside the United States?

Secondary

Born in the United States?

You must submit a delayed birth certificate OR a Letter of No Record, AND early public records.

• Delayed birth certificate (filed more than 1 year after birth)

• It must include the following:
      • List the documentation used to create it (preferably early public records - see below)
      • Signature of the birth attendant or an affidavit signed by the parent(s)
    • If your delayed U.S. birth certificate does not include these items, it should be submitted with early public records (see below).
  • Letter of No Record

• If a U.S. birth certificate is not on file for you in the state you were born, you will receive a Letter of No Record from the registrar instead of a birth certificate. It must meet the following requirements:
      • Issued by the state
      • Have applicant’s name and date of birth
      • List the years for which a birth record was searched
      • Include a statement that no birth certificate was found on file
    • When submitting a Letter of No Record, you must also submit at least two early public documents or one early public document and one early private document with Form DS-10: Birth Affadavit.

Early public or private documents

• Early public or private documents are documents that were created and/or issued early in the applicant’s life, preferably in the first five years.

• Public records should include the applicant’s full name, date of birth, and place of birth. Examples include:

• Baptism certificate
    • Hospital birth certificate (often shows baby’s footprints)
    • U.S. Census record
    • Early school records
    • Family Bible record
    • Doctor’s records of post-natal care
    • Form DS-10, Birth Affidavit ( this form is for applicants whose birth in the United States was recorded more than one year late or who have a Letter of No Record. )

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/citizenship-evidence.html

Kansas can suck it.

22 Likes

Because that’s where they keep those.

2 Likes

For that Old-Testament-only family Bible this bunch will give you a passport, but with a special stamp:

14 Likes

I reread the post 7 times thinking I was missing the “/s”.

seriously…how in the fucking hell do you put bible, history, and science in the same sentence and it isn’t some bar joke!!!

12 Likes

Or an ad for whiskey.

7 Likes

Well. an ad for whiskey…I mean…I’m all in regardless of what is there. WHICH REMINDS ME TO POST IN THE WHISKEY THREAD thank you.

5 Likes

Bloody? That’s not a very American expression…

5 Likes

Busted! That’s right, I’m one of those evil naturalised citizens who doesn’t have a family Bible. Mwah-ha-ha-ha.

18 Likes

We landed there in '71, and I’ve been saying that ever since.

11 Likes

Lawsuit fucking city.

18 Likes

This is only news when it starts to affect white people…

14 Likes

Much harder to fake than an official birth certificate, too.

3 Likes

Mr. Bells’ parents were wrapping up a church-sponsored trip to Guatemala in late January/early February 1976. His mom was heavily pregnant with him, but supposedly had plenty of time to give birth back home.

Then a 7.5 magnitude earthquake hit the country. They couldn’t leave. Mr. Bells was born in Guatemala City during an aftershock and, as the hospitals were packed to bursting, was not actually issued a birth certificate. It wasn’t until he was about 30 that his mother managed to get a Certificate of Birth Abroad (no, I have no idea how he was enrolled in school or got a driver’s license or anything before that - he’d even already had a passport in his 20’s).

Anyway, I thought when this administration came into power that I should get everyone in my family a new passport, pronto. Only, I didn’t. And now I’m afraid to apply to renew his in case they decide to deport my spouse back to a country he’s only ever been in for the first 7 days of his life.

29 Likes

Which is why we’re even hearing about it now.

It never ceases to amaze me that when bad policy or sanctioned behavior targeted at ‘Others’ comes back to bite White folks on the ass, they always seem so ‘shocked’ that they were negatively impacted too.

16 Likes