Bitcoins from Heaven

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/10/25/bitcoins-from-heaven.html

2 Likes

Imagery currency from an imaginary place.

Oh thank goodness! We haven’t had a cute girl with a ukulele in over a year. I was starting to think something was wrong.

5 Likes

(Immediately goes to ebay to look for harp-ukes.)

2 Likes

I just thought perhaps his wife bought one.

1 Like

“Oh! captive, bound, and double-ironed,” cried the phantom…The blockchain he drew was clasped about his middle. It was long, and wound about him like a tail; and it was made (for Scrooge observed it closely) of cash-boxes, keys, padlocks, ledgers, deeds, and heavy purses wrought in math.

2 Likes

White slavery is illegal in this country.

So basically like every other currency?
How disappointing.

Excepting that one can actually visit- say France - and one can hold their currency in your hands - they’re exactly alike.

The seigniorage of a country is also backed by something more substantial than something not carrying the full faith and credit of a solvent country and which isn’t actually a currency or a stock or bond. Which isn’t to say you can’t do well if you get in early and cash out early.

You just have to be comfortable with either ripping off others or being the eventual chump.

What you’re holding in your hands is a bit of paper with a number printed on it.
It works as long as everybody honours the unspoken agreement to pretend that this is a representation of actual worth.

Everything only has value if others say it does. This doesn’t make a monopoly money more usable outside of the game than actual money.

Yes. And yes.
As long as everybody agrees that Monopoly money suddenly should have “real value”, it would have.
If all the inmates in a prison stop smoking, the assigned value of cigarettes drops to zero.
If OPEC deceides that the USD can’t be used to buy or trade oil anymore and China declares that they want actually to collect the USA’s debts, the USD turns into Monopoly money.

It turns into money with a lower value on the international exchanges. But then China has problems as it seeks to keep the value of its currency low.

I think cigs have been replaced by ramen - I read even mackerel packets in some prisons.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.