Black ASU prof beaten by campus cops without provocation, charged with assault

Change the law? No. Save me from citation or arrest? Maybe.

But the key word is “argue”. The badge gets to define what is or isn’t an argument and how strongly to respond. A sideways look might be an “argument.” The bar needs to be higher than: “shut up and take the kind officer’s medicine” . The ACLU does not endorse arguing, but I believe that is more about reducing the chance of escalation rather than any intrinsic “right” of the police to not have their actions questioned.

None --other than the crime of losing her composure.

3 Likes

Once again the lesson is to shut up and become compliant, whether the demand makes any sense or not. These types of issues always come down to allowing the man with the gun to force a citizen to blindly kowtow to his authority, and as always there are those who will defend his right to demand that submission, whatever the excuse or legality.

There is a time and place for the exertion of physical authority, but jaywalking is not it. Nor is insolent and indignant back talking.

Someday the authorities should learn that compliance and cooperation comes when the demands make sense, not simply because they demand it.

7 Likes

ASU is a huge campus. If the professor has any sway over colleagues and students, those officers’ names are mud.

That video showed two cowardly lions ripping a lamb apart for their own amusement.

Jaywalking? Please.

4 Likes

Heh. right on. Thanks.

3 Likes

Based on the location of the incident, it is quite possible that the professor was not even breaking the law at all. In most states, including AZ, pedestrians are only prohibited from crossing a street mid-block if both of the nearest adjacent intersections are controlled by stop lights. In Tempe it looks like College Ave at 5th does have a signal but College at 6th does not. As such, if this was the location of the arrest then the professor may be completely in the right with no obligation to identify herself to the police officer. I sure hope her lawyer is looking into this.

5 Likes

“I’m going to ask you one more time, stop the personal attacks or I’m going to slam you into the hood of this car.”

3 Likes

Campus cops in general are fucking worthless dicks. They are like one step over Mall Cop as they get real guns. While any cop can take a trivial infraction and make it a Big Fucking Deal, Campus cops have nothing else better to do and turn this into an art form.

4 Likes

Using the “high horse” expression to describe her says quite a lot more about your potential bias than it does about her.

That happens?

I can’t understand why you would use such cavalier, dismissive language to describe likely racial profiling and clear abuse of authority while at the same time using much more stern language to describe her actions with:

…“she reacted very poorly” … “what did she expect passers by to do? Intervene and assault a cop?” … " … series of really stupid decisions and the weird belief that you can hector your way out of a police encounter … "

[quote=“bwv812, post:21, topic:35916”]He actually showed more restraint that I expected from the headline … she reacted very poorly, and under the circumstances I think the cop was within his rights to do everything he did. … he was also within his rights to stop her and ask for ID … only reason she ended up on the ground was because that’s what happened when he tried to force her hands behind her back so he could cuff her. … Much better to comply
[/quote]

Have you and @MacD considered the alternative scenario eloquently expressed by @adorita within this thread located here where the police simply protect and serve the public instead?

All this event triggered is more resentment within a community. No one was protected and the public wasn’t served anything except yet another reason to fear the police instead of working with them to make the community a better, safer place to live.

I really hope you take @adorita’s sensical post to heart that gets to the root of the problem with this incident instead of insulting the victim and/or victim blaming.

7 Likes

What’s the abuse of authority? He was using authority that we, the people, have given him. He has the power to enforce the laws we write and to arrest those that don’t comply. You may not like it, but those are the powers he has, and he wasn’t abusing them except in the sense that you don’t like them being used against the person he used them against.

And while profiling is far from a good thing, for those who live in the real world it is a reality. So is being stopped, cited, and arrested. So is having force used against you if you resist arrest. Did she feel good being morally right as she was wrestled to the ground and forced to comply with his demands she put her hands behind her back? Was her Pyrrhic victory worth it?

If you still don’t get it after reading @adorita’s post here then I suspect you never will.

he wasn’t abusing them except in the sense that you don’t like them being used against the person he used them against.

You’re wrong. I wouldn’t want him abusing his power against anyone regardless of who they are. Why resort to pretentious assumptions of my own motivations if you’ve got good sense on your side? Please knock it off and speak for yourself instead.

And while profiling is far from a good thing, for those who live in the real world it is a reality.

And, once again, I can’t understand why you would use such cavalier, dismissive language to describe likely racial profiling and clear abuse of authority while at the same time using much more stern language to describe her actions.

Did she feel good being morally right as she was wrestled to the ground and forced to comply with his demands she put her hands behind her back?

Er, what?

I had hoped that you could have taken @adorita’s sensical post to heart that gets to the root of the problem with this incident instead of insulting the victim and/or victim blaming, but I now see that you lack that ability for whatever reason.

5 Likes

That’s what abuse actually means: taking authority you are given, and applying it in ways that are wrong or improper. Saying he has been given authority doesn’t show he’s not abusing it, it’s a precondition for him doing so.

Yes, abuse of powers is definitely something that happens in the real world, as is victim blaming. So long as we accept them, they won’t get any better.

10 Likes

I couldn’t see the video so I could only judge by audio. The police officer spoke with a somewhat firm tone, never a hint of contempt, though his annoyance was plain. She, on the other hand, was nothing but indignant, and disrespectful of his obvious authority in the situation.

Part of the “obstruction” has to do with did she have any business being there in the first place. The officer could have discovered this if she had simply followed his request to identify herself. It is entirely possible that the officer would have simply given her a warning, and even checked with the construction company as you suggested, if she had simply followed his request to identify herself.

Her constant refusal to obey repeated instructions and requests from a police officer is indeed provocation. Whether the force used by the officer was justified, I cannot judge that without actually seeing the video.

3 Likes

Would he be abusing his authority if he was busting a member of a bike gang for drug trafficking and the biker was resisting arrest? What if it was a drunk motorist trying to reason with the police officer and resisting arrest at 3:30 am on an empty highway? I suspect that your opinion on whether he was abusing his authority depends on what you subjectively think of the victim and/or your opinion of the subjective nature of the crime, as opposed to whether or not the law was broken and he had authority to act.

How, exactly, is she a blameless victim? Did she break the law? Did she resist arrest? Do you want people to be able to talk their way out of arrests or citations?

Again, does this mean that the use of force is never appropriate, and that people should be able to resist any arrest they think unfair? Who gets to define what abuse of power is? Her? You? A bike-gang mamber? Certainly you don’t think the law should define it, because under the law he had the power to arrest her, and to use the force necessary to effectuate that arrest.

I read it. If you want some sort of community policing you’re going to have to get rid of boomers and their zero tolerance, broken-windows policing policies. And you’re probably also going to actually have to respect police and be willing to comply with their requests a bit more, as has been more typical under community policing tradition: it’s a two-way street. But if everyone is going to stand on their rights as a matter of principle and only cooperate with police to the extent they are legally required to, the policing standard suggested by adorita is unlikely to be effective.

It’s not dismissive language; it’s acknowledging the reality. Profiling is a reality. Getting yourself arrested and resisting arrest isn’t a great way to fight it, in my opinion. But maybe she actually did feel moral satisfaction in being wrestled to the ground, though I doubt it. Doubting that she felt vindicated in that situation isn’t using stern language to describe her actions, it’s describing what happened to her and imagining how she likely felt.

1 Like

Again, that’s what the word abuse means. Not whether you were acting within your authority, but whether you were doing so in appropriate ways. There is a lot of racist harassment that can be done legally, and that legality doesn’t make it any less an abuse of position, so invoking it as proof there’s been no abuse means you don’t understand the concept.

I didn’t say she was; I will say she was the victim. I don’t think she needs to be blameless, to handle everything in textbook-perfect fashion, to make the way the supposed professionals who initiated the encounter the point of concern.

Shrugging off their actions as just business as usual in order to criticize her for not having ideal responses - that’s what victim blaming usually means, too. It’s against the poster guidelines here for good reason.

This sort of profiling is something that happens; in particular, it’s an abuse that happens. When you’re only willing to acknowledge the former, you’re dismissing the latter.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t want him abusing his power against anyone regardless of who they are.

Again, does this mean that the use of force is never appropriate

Um, what? Again, with this?

http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/skeptic/arguments.html#straw

Straw Man (Fallacy Of Extension): Attacking an exaggerated or caricatured version of your opponent’s position.

I haven’t said nor implied that the use force in any and every situation is never appropriate. I haven’t said that in this thread, nor any thread, nor any time in my entire life in any setting, as a matter of fact.

You earlier resorted to a weak, pretentious misrepresentation of my own positions and now a classic straw man argument. It only makes your argument incredibly weakened each and every time you resort to these kind of inane tactics.

Sorry, but these kind of inane, desperate distractions don’t work on me. I would have thought that you would’ve learned that by now. Here’s a second request to please knock it off and speak for yourself unless your goal is to needle me.

http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/skeptic/arguments.html#needling

Needling: Simply attempting to make the other person angry, without trying to address the argument at hand. Sometimes this is a delaying tactic.

If you still don’t get it after reading @adorita’s post here then I suspect you never will.

I read it.

Great, now work on comprehension.

If you want some sort of community policing

Case and point. You obviously still aren’t comprehending @adorita’s post. You keep ignoring the root of the problem.

The obvious point (to most everyone else here) of @adorita’s post is that the officer should have discussed the situation with the woman instead of being obtuse and combative. Then he would have learned that there was a public hazard that was unaddressed with a construction company that failed to provide an alternate route for pedestrians. That way the officer would have helped to protect and serve the public instead of antagonizing and endangering the public.

it’s a two-way street

Exactly. Respect goes both ways and the officer could have properly done his job by properly adhering to that axiom as he approached this woman instead of making an aggressively blind assumption about her motives, etc.

He could have determined a public health hazard, but instead ended up not serving the public in his haste to be a dickhead.

if everyone is going to stand on their rights as a matter of principle

What’s wrong with doing that?

only cooperate with police to the extent they are legally required to

No one is making that extremist argument. Once again, you resort to a straw man argument and I really wish you’d stop that distracting drivel. I think people should cooperate with police if and when they think the police are using proper judgment. This cop wasn’t using proper judgement. The cop should have shown her respect and made himself abreast of the situation with the construction issue before getting aggressive with this woman.

You know, treat her as an equal human being or something.

And, once again, I can’t understand why you would use such cavalier, dismissive language to describe likely racial profiling and clear abuse of authority while at the same time using much more stern language to describe her actions.

It’s not dismissive language; it’s acknowledging the reality.

The reality you’re failing to acknowledge was your usage of dismissive language.

You aren’t “schooling” anyone within this thread on the realities of life. Please dismount your pedestal and try talking to the rest of us here as equals. We all know there’s profiling. You aren’t laying some heavy knowledge on the rest of us here in this regard.

You know, treat us as equal human beings or something.

for those who live in the real world it is a reality.

Remember that “two-way street” axiom you espoused about respect? You should really look into it yourself. Implying that others and myself don’t live in the “real world” and to pretentiously assume those who disagree with you aren’t properly aware of profiling in said “real world” isn’t showing basic respect.

So don’t be shocked when people lose respect for you and your straw man laden arguments in the process.

Did she feel good being morally right as she was wrestled to the ground and forced to comply with his demands she put her hands behind her back?

Er, what?

I had hoped that you could have taken @adorita’s sensical post to heart that gets to the root of the problem with this incident instead of insulting the victim and/or victim blaming, but once again I see that you lack that ability for whatever reason.

7 Likes

I know something around here smells like horse, but we won’t agree on just what that is.

6 Likes

It’s a pubic SAFETY hazard, not health hazard. Jeez MAN. :wink:

And i doubt that officer friendly intended to be a dickhead. If this thread proves anything, it’s that some people just can’t help themselves, they have to identify more with the accidental dickheadery than with the unavoidable jaywalkery.

Again, people reflect the world as they see it, through their own eyes. Officer friendly might hit a professional wall because of this incident, and reflect on his choices and worldview and come to change. Doubt it, but maybe.

His cheerleaders though… dude, they’re hopeless until they hit their own wall. The joy they get from watching, or just imagining, others suffering… no words will cure that evil.

3 Likes

Thanks to the cops, it’s not safe to walk down the street in Phoenix, Arizona. Sad day.

2 Likes

The truth here is that officer humiliated someone, and needs to show humility.

And the usual cast of characters, lacking humility, show up here to go on an on about how humility is not an appropriate choice for themselves the officer.

1 Like

She will get hers back when she sues these campus cops in the courts and/or pushes for ASU to fire them over this bunkus. Personally, I feel that criminal assault charges would be warranted against these cops.

If this is how the jaywalking laws are going to be used, perhaps it is time to remove them from the equation by repealing them, along with any other law that is ripe for abuse by an out of control officer.

3 Likes