Black burners on race and Burning Man

Mostly Chinese and Japanese American, given Burning Man’s Bay Area roots.

So, uh, you’ve never been to Burning Man or actually met any Burners in person then?

This isn’t to say most Burners don’t have the ability to scrape some cash up but I’ve met plenty of working class folks, like construction workers or baristas, there.

1 Like

You couldn’t pay me enough to spend a week on the playa, but I have tons of friends that have/do (tons by weight might actually be accurate) and to a person they are working class. None of the 1%ers I know have ever been.

1 Like

Sure but Sergey Brin and Elon Musk make the news when they go and then people see images of nekkid white raver chicks and whatnot and assume it is some rich person’s party.

1 Like

thisiswhywecanthavenicethings.gif

1 Like

But they’re all People of Color!

Because LGBT is a race…

Hell, I can’t even afford to go.

Congrats on being privileged enough to go.

When I was in college, that was something the more affluent and/or more foolish kids did. Me, I worked when I wasn’t in school, because I couldn’t afford to do otherwise. I even had to pass on internships for that reason. And getting through a professional life without taking those unpaid internships…I’m getting off track.

1 Like

So I assume you’ve never taken a vacation across the country or gone to Mexico or similar either. Burning Man isn’t any more expensive than any kind of travel for a week or two historically.

As people have said here, there are plenty of working class people that have made it to Burning Man over the last 20+ years. It isn’t all rich people. I know some pretty marginal folks that made it there because they wanted to be there badly enough.

My reason for asking my questions was because you’re clearly making assumptions about Burners with no actual knowledge of the people.

1 Like

All people are animals. Check the hardware.

1 Like

You know that’s not how that was intended when people rant that liberals can’t handle “race reality”.

Dehumanization, not our shared genetics.

2 Likes

It’s mostly white people, right? Do I need to know more?

Well I did that a lot as a white boy. But then I was not a suburbanite, went to the public schools and had friends who lived in that part of the city. Mind you when we were out and about we all were aware that some of us stuck out like polka dots and that could cause issues. Note there are some neighborhoods that are more or less even if you match the color you still can be in trouble if you are not from that neighborhood. Now I live in Seattle and roll my eyes at the people who go on about downtown being dangerous.

1 Like

If you’re talking about who goes, “white people” is not an undifferentiated mass. You’ve heard of “class” before, right? That’s why were discussing who can “afford” to go. If you don’t know any Burners or anything about them other than what you see in a blog post, your assumptions about Burning Man are likely way off base.

Some animals are more equal than others

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.