Black Lives Matter. Still

:woman_shrugging:

We start listening to folks like Kendi, or we all loseā€¦

15 Likes

Long-term readers of the BBS know that I have a great deal of respect for Fred Clark at Slacktivist (so named long before the term became pejorative). He is a progressive white evangelical, dissecting white religion the way someone like Beau of the Fifth Column does for white politics; eviscerating from the inside, as it were.

So his latest post is about the white evangelical reaction to the PBS documentary on Billy Graham. He writes a lot less than usual, showing rather than telling the self-evident wrong:

Murdock is upset that the film focuses so much on one ā€œmid-life mistakeā€ instead of other aspects of Grahamā€™s spiritual and moral leadership, just because that one, single mid-life mistake happened to be Grahamā€™s choosing the Very Wrong side of the largest, most important, and most consequential spiritual and moral question of Grahamā€™s lifetime.

In case itā€™s unclear, the most momentous question of the 20th century is:

ā€œThe problem of the 20th Century is the problem of the color line,ā€ W.E.B. Du Bois wrote in 1903. Murdock disagrees. He thinks the biggest problem of the 20th Century was the argument between the Christian Century magazine and Christianity Today. And since Graham was, in Murdockā€™s view, on the right side of that latter dispute, he ā€œlived a life difficult to portray negatively.ā€

16 Likes

Also, @chgoliz, that was really excellent, so thanks for sharing. Itā€™s distressing that weā€™re over 20 years into the 21st century, and the color line is STILL the problem.

19 Likes

Another backlash reportā€¦

14 Likes

I actually left the AMA over some of the political and lobbying stances they took. It does not surprise me one iota that there is pushback for something like this, despite (as the article correctly points out) well done research demonstrating that Black patients do better when cared for by Black doctors, but outcomes for white patients do not vary with race of provider. Facts are hard, and they do have a remarkable liberal bias, so it surprises me not that conservative white folk might have a problem with acknowledging them. The biggest problem they seem to have, though, is that for the first time in their lives, they are the minority! And they seriously do not know how to handle that. Kinda fun to watch, if you can get past the subtle, and not so subtle, racism involved.

13 Likes

10 Likes

According to the Post, former Trump adviser and worldā€™s oldest 35-year-old Stephen Miller formed a commission to sue on behalf of a white farmer who also believed that the program was discriminatory toward white farmers. In part, the Post reports, the lawsuit claimed that ā€œdisrupts our common progress toward becoming a more perfect union.ā€

PUBLIC ENEMY NUMBER ONE

12 Likes

:woman_facepalming: :woman_facepalming: :woman_facepalming:

19 Likes

I mean, we all knew nobody was actually confused by the logic, right?

Just because I don't care

18 Likes

Aw, man. That first one, the handle of ā€œISupportLawEnforcementOfficersā€ā€¦want to tell ā€˜em, ā€œif thatā€™s what the police actually did (enforce the laws), fairly and without bias, we would be having an entirely different conversation. :woman_facepalming:t2:

14 Likes

i hear you, but i still think defunding is the right thing regardless. nyc police get an estimated 10 billion dollars a year. yeah, thereā€™s a lot of people in nyc ā€“ but 10 billion dollars worth?

that means each resident pays around 1,200 dollars a year in cop costs if my math is right. and that doesnā€™t include jail and prison costs. nor the port authority, fbi, homeland security, tsa, national guard, coast guard, etc. etc.

i donā€™t know what the exact right number is, only that itā€™s wildly imbalanced. all that money could be better spent regardless of how good police were.

13 Likes

NYC police have been massively over funded since 911. It is not the number of people in the city. It is the taking advantage of fear of the moment to prop up the industries that need a forever war to sell their products.

9 Likes
8 Likes

Apparently, reading comprehension isnā€™t necessary to work at Foxā€¦ /s

JK, of course they purposefully misinterpreted what Eric Deggans said.

16 Likes
15 Likes

Oh, Wausau. Still so very white. Glad I never had to live there (because my grandparents moved out when my mom was a wee kid).

12 Likes
13 Likes

Shockingly (not really shocking at all), comprehensive research out today shows that last yearā€™s BLM protests were nearly entirely peaceful and violent incidents were precipitated by the police and right wing actors in nearly ever case.

ā€œGiven that protesters were objecting to extrajudicial police killings of Black citizens, protesters displayed an extraordinary level of nonviolent discipline, particularly for a campaign involving hundreds of documented incidents of apparent police brutality.ā€

18 Likes

But that is from liberal egghead academics!! What does the Heritage Foundation say? Or OANN? You know, Real American Study Groups!! (OMG, no way there is enough /s for this)

18 Likes

From Michael Harriot, so you know itā€™s worth reading:

20 Likes