Black Lives Matter. Still

i know, one should never read the comments, but it’s modestly disconcerting to see that there are people who read the root for the purpose of triggering their racist hysteria.

14 Likes

There’s a special weekly column just to respond to those who go the extra mile in making their racist feelings known. I usually make popcorn before reading it :wink::

15 Likes

I comment on both the Root and the AV Club; trolls and flamers there are especially egregious because there’s basically no real moderation on Kinja.

13 Likes

yeah, i kind of got that.

11 Likes

I can’t profess that I ‘don’t read the comments’ there, but I am damn selective.

Having good mods like @orenwolf and @Falcor back when she was still around has ‘spoiled me’ for many other platforms…

17 Likes

i respect harriot so much, his command of history and facts is just so impressive. i can’t even feel insulted by his main points because they’re all true. my awareness of the long history of the white oppression of people of color has long been a source of shame for me but i do the best i can to live a life informed by my knowledge. i suppose that makes me a “critical race theory marxist”.

15 Likes

I have no words.

21 Likes

Another great one from Michael Harriot:

17 Likes

First quote because the metaphor is excellent:

To them, racial inequality is not the compound interest of white supremacy.

Second quote because it made me giggle:

People who prefer Fox News, NASCAR and Nextdoor threads find comfort and absolution in rants about bootstrap-pulling, unwed mothers and Black men’s failure to properly belt their oversized pants.

9 Likes

23 Likes
17 Likes

23 Likes
10 Likes

That old cowboy on the boat of Ra is such a curmudgeon. I love it.

1 Like

Amidst all the shiny distractions, he’s long had a knack for keeping his eye on the ball. Toni Morrison did too.

7 Likes
15 Likes
16 Likes

If it’s not guns, it’s vehicles as weapons. Sickening.

10 Likes

Another story that proves whatever misgivings these folks had when they chose a career in law enforcement weren’t unfounded:

16 Likes

I’m going to put this here, because this is the kind of awesome Black politician that’s needed dearly (especially in the backwards states).

11 Likes