Black Lives Matter. Still

*sighs

14 Likes

And this:

there is also video from the officerā€™s body camera. The superintendent also asked the public to withhold judgement until the Citizenā€™s Office of Police Accountability can complete its investigation.

They could just release the unaltered bodycam footage and let us judge based on that. That would give a ā€œfirst personā€ account of what the officer encountered. Is there any legitimate reason, in a scenario like this, not to do that? All of ā€œthe publicā€ is supposed to ā€œwithhold judgementā€ while a biased investigative body has access to all the evidence (which is literally paid for by all of us).

(I get that in some cases footage might include people unaware theyā€™re being recorded, I mean in this particular situation.)

13 Likes

ā€¢ Swim only when lifeguards are on duty.
ā€¢ Follow lifeguardsā€™ instructions.
ā€¢ Only Coast Guard approved personal flotation devices (PFDs) are permitted. Person-children wearing PFDs should have adult present.
ā€¢ No smoking.
ā€¢ No alcohol.
ā€¢ No dogs on the beach.
ā€¢ Do not feed birds or wildlife.
ā€¢ Dispose of trash and recycling in appropriate containers.
ā€¢ Grill in designated areas only and dispose of coals in red barrels.
ā€¢ Keep accessible beach walks clear. No bicycling, skateboarding or rollerblading is permitted in these areas.

Soā€¦sheā€™s obviously not a swimmer, and it appears the ā€œbeachā€ beach is the only place that has business hours, because thereā€™s no lifeguard on duty at night or in the winter. The only thing I can see that might get a ticket is walking the dog in an area that might not be dog permissible.

https://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/beaches#BeachRules

https://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/parks-facilities/lakefront-trail

13 Likes
16 Likes
19 Likes

The dude drove into the path of a hurricane from Ohio? He drilled holes in tanks of toxic liquids in 2017? This guy really has problems making good decisions.

Meanwhile, Iā€™m glad Shaquille is alright. I mean, he was making good decisions in de-escalating the situation as much as possible, but itā€™s still good to hear.

18 Likes

So thenā€¦

he still asshole sacha baron cohen GIF

15 Likes
18 Likes

Thatā€™s all it takes.

13 Likes

i can see why itā€™s so controversial /s

a girl helps at a food bank and learns not everyone has affordable access to the food they need.

( edit: something something cancel culture )

17 Likes

Humour Facepalm GIF

18 Likes

What the ever-loving fā€¦?

17 Likes

Someoneā€™s cooning extra hard, I see.

16 Likes

I like the idea. Anyone whose estate was in possession of slaves can come forward and then, just as soon as they have squared off the outstanding balance for how much labor and life they stole, will be fully entitled to ask for compensation for the property they lost. Think anyone would go for it?

18 Likes

just a language suggestion: ā€œanyone whose estate enslaved people.ā€

unlike tables and chairs, no one can passively possess another human being. it requires the constant application of force. enslavement better conveys the active harm that was perpetrated daily for well over three hundred years. iā€™ve grown to believe the difference in language is really important when grappling with what slavery is and was.

16 Likes

If I didnā€™t know better, Iā€™d swear that Larry Elder is trying to stop Newsomā€™s recall and purposely sabotaging his own campaign.

14 Likes

Recall is unlikely, given CAā€™s history.

11 Likes

Iā€™m certainly not stopping him from paying them.

Let us know when you do, Larry.

12 Likes

Why not, the UK did it :frowning:

Not a fucking cent to any of the enslaved people, either.

10 Likes

ā€œPrager Uā€ says it all. But I have heard this argument in the wild. And I makes me crazy.

11 Likes