Black Lives Matter. Still

Ah, the American “justice” system, where “you tampered with this on purpose but it’s okay because technically you did it in a way that gave you plausible deniability, so even though I know that’s what you did, you’re allowed to get away with it” is never late.

13 Likes

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

13 Likes

There should be at least 4 jurors who are Black to represent the demographics of the county, yet the defense attorneys are whining about not enough “Bubbas” in the jury pool? What bullshit.

15 Likes

Shit’s going to explode down there when these assholes get off.

Angry Tyra Banks GIF

15 Likes

Shit’s going to explode everywhere if they get off.

ETA: And it should. If hunting down and murdering a Black man for being Black is ok anywhere in this country, then there must be massive protest everywhere in this country.

18 Likes

i was screaming when i heard the judge’s rationale this morning. a complete lack of clue that what he described is exactly the way systemic racism works.

if someone isn’t being anti-racist situations like that, then they’re upholding white supremacy by doing nothing

and that really does lead me to fear it won’t be a fair trial.

in my mind the only point to this particular trial should be to establish that a) yes, those are indeed the men who committed the murder ( not hard in this case ), and b) how long should they be in prison for

i hope that this judge at least allows arbery to be called “the victim” :confused:

[eta]
from the most recent hcr post

They insisted they were discriminating against Black voters not on the grounds of race, but rather on the grounds of property ownership or education, criteria that northern native-born whites embraced as immigration from southern Europe increased in northern cities. After Mississippi wrote a constitution in 1890 that virtually eliminated Black voting, state legislatures across the country cut poor people, Black people, and people of color out of voting.

that’s exactly what just happened to my mind

13 Likes

These assholes really do think they are beyond the rules, don’t they? But we cannot count on them always being this stupid.

17 Likes

Agreed.

Also yes.

14 Likes
11 Likes

“White women didn’t have autonomy for a long time so we were taught to sexually exploit ourselves and emotionally manipulate those around us,” said [@themagpie]

So very true.

"White women are intimidated by and jealous of the divine feminine within the Indigenous and Black communities and the internal power that that brings with them.”

Can see that, though not so much jealousy, personally speaking. I know the price Black and Indigenous women pay and it’s not a price I want to pay. It’s not a price I want anyone to pay.

11 Likes
23 Likes

Oof. That ending, especially the last sentence.
:cry:

14 Likes
18 Likes

More about institutions ignoring and enabling this for years… :angry:

19 Likes

As someone who was regularly bullied in school and who got no help, I can imagine this has an extra layer of horrible when you add racism and ablism to the mix. And the fact that the teacher piled on is infuriating - that woman should never teach in a class again. This is what happens when you let racism and other kinds of bigotry metastasize in your society… innocent children who want to die.

But hey… this is only a problem in the south, right? I mean… Utah was part of the confederacy right? Maybe we can just hand it over to bullying bigots and problems solved for good white liberals!!! /s

Angry Benedict Cumberbatch GIF by Saturday Night Live

16 Likes

11 Likes

HFS this is next level bad:

16 Likes

Two stories from NOLA this morning on the very slow path away from white supremacy.
For the first time, getting a state license to be a hair stylist won’t just require the ability to cut straight hair.

And 125 years later, Homer Plessy is up for a pardon for his crime of wantonly sitting in a whites-only train car, despite the state having codified him as colored for having a great-grandparent from Africa and 7 of 8 great-grandparents from France (the law set the line at 1/16th African descent).
Unfortunately, most often “separate but equal” is described as though the separation is inherent and the only question is how the law treats different groups. Plessy was not born Black, though; he was born Creole. The state of Louisiana passed a law to draw an arbitrary line, creating a racial class hierarchy which was seen most obviously in the Creole community. Creole families were arbitrarily split by who could “pass” and those on each side of the racialized divide couldn’t marry or learn, travel, or shop with those on the other side. The case is still mostly taught based on the words of the white supremacist judges that wrote the decision while ignoring the reasons that Plessy was chosen as the test case

20 Likes

I’m actually floored by that. By definition, ‘Cajun’ is a mixed genetic group including African-American and Native populations. If there was anywhere in the country I would have thought hair stylists would be accustomed to working on textured hair, it would be Louisiana.

14 Likes

Homer Plessy.

19 Likes