Black Lives Matter. Still

Cobb County Superintendent Chris Ragsdale told board members before the vote that the district only has 67 officers currently for its 114 schools, and that competition to hire police officers is intense.

i can think of more useful roles they might hire. because while i might be reading this page wrong, from what i could find ( here and here ), they have a grand total of 5 school nurses and 35 social workers.

8 Likes
13 Likes

Trump appointee? Or just generic racist fuck. Either way, it’s the trebuchet!

12 Likes

That was my immediate presumption, but you’re right; it could just be regular ol’ run-of-the-mill racism.

13 Likes

He was appointed by Obama.
The years of republicans pulling the country to the right and democrats chasing after them asking for a compromise is seriously fucking this country

12 Likes

I can’t even…

Fozzie Bear Reaction GIF

13 Likes
13 Likes

marvel cinematic universe thor GIF

15 Likes

13 Likes

Crossposting from good stuff:

Amber Ruffin, National treasure!

16 Likes

Righting the wrongs, one museum at a time:

14 Likes
7 Likes

20 Likes
14 Likes
13 Likes

That is going to kill people, especially in the current situation of understaffed burn-out ERs, with a disease where accurate O2 levels are critically important.

“Unpredictable”, hmm.

12 Likes

Roughly the same technology as in hands-free sinks/soap dispensers.

While different wavelengths of light may help decrease the disparity, ultimately I suspect most of the problem can be solved by tweaking the algorithm.

10 Likes

I wonder. In the case of hands-free sinks and dispensers, the problem is very simply that they only calibrated things to white people. In the case of oximeters though I think it might be genuinely harder to measure what’s going on inside a dark hand than a light one. I mean, just visually I can look at my finger and see color from hemoglobin, in a way that people with lots more melanin can’t. Algorithms can only correct for so much if the source data isn’t measured well.

8 Likes

Oximetry doesn’t use the absolute value, though. It uses the differential signal between two wavelengths that are absorbed by oxyhemoglobin and deoxyhenoglobin at different levels. That’s why adding a third wavelength that doesn’t have different absorbtion would help set the baseline. It should also be possible for the system to detect low transmission (due to dark skin or even just a thicker finger) and increase LED output level to compensate.

13 Likes

It could very be that the O2 sensors were also calibrated with that bias, like a sample of people who were already getting arterial blood draws to measure O2?

6 Likes